GS Custom bullets

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I am purchasing some of these bullets in 30 cal. Am looking for expiriences and opinions on these bullets.

Thanks, Steve

It would appear that not too many of you all have an opinion on these bullets, or have not used them. They are difficult to get a hold of. I have read everything I can get a hold of, which is mainly their web site. A very good read I thought. On their site they have a link under " useful stuff" to an article called Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories. This article goes into the physics of how a bullet acts on the impact of an animal. I would love to hear a discussion with all of you about this. This guys stuff is very technical, and a long read. Very worth the time.
PS He is not a GS guy, they just link to his web site. Here is the address if you don't want to do the link thing. www.rathcoombie.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html#introduction

Steve

IMO, that link is great, it helps that I agree with about 90% of his views /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The links from there are useful and make for some good reading too.
The SC study was interesting even though I don't really agree with the results. It is interesting to see any large group of data that involves a lot of animals shot. IMO, I think that it puts into perspective how many shots on game it may take to get useful results regarding a particular type of bullet.

edge.

If you order from GS have them air shipped!! It took 2 years to get the order I placed due to getting lost in ground shipping.
I ordered a few 375 bullets for the 375/50BMG but unfortunatly I sold the gun last fall and never did get a chance to see how they shot.
I also ordered a few .224 bullets for the 8 twist 22-250 but the gun is down for repairs waiting for funds to fix a poor chamber,thread and crown job....never asume the local smith knows what he is doing!!
In the order where a few 6.5 bullets too but I was in a nasty fall last summer and have yet to do any load work for the 6.5-284 or 6.5Sweede.The plan is to have the 6.5s up and running for antilope,deer hunting this fall.
His site has a lot of info that will have you reading and thinkin fer a long time and he has ben very helpfull in giveing advise to get his bullets shooting with a minimum of load work.Kinda spendy but I'm convident at this point that they will be at least acceptable,timel tell?The plan is to use wet telephone books for a backstop dureing load testing to se how they expand.
The pic showes a couple of his bullets against the competition.
From left to right
.224s(40Vmax,GS60grain HV,75Hornady HPBT,75Amax
.264s(95Vmax,GS110HV/HP/SP/BT,140SST,140Amax,375 cal 270grain Groovy bullet,750 grain Amax and a used barns coper sabot out of a 12ga

bullets.jpg

Mach V,

They don't really expand...you will be disappointed by their looks from wet telephone books. Basically they become flat nose bullets upon entry.

This is not a bad thing as it's speed and disruption cause massive internal bleeding without the bloodshot meat from fragmentation. GEt an accurate load and use them on game...the only real test.

Kyle

The ones I've used are very nicely made, high quality bullets. They're accurate too. But beyond being difficult to get and expensive their BC's are just too low to hold my interest.

They don't really expand...you will be disappointed by their looks from wet telephone books. Basically they become flat nose bullets upon entry.

this is what they are designed to do.they make a larger wound channel than mushrooming bullets because of the design.for conventional short range hunting, nothing can beat them.

Dave....I meant disappointed in LOOKS only....performance is flawless. Some people look for the classic mushroom and these just do not d that.

Kyle

In my 280AI I was running 160gr bullets. Per Gerard's suggestion, I used the 120gr GS Cutom. It proved to be an even better killer than the 160's I had used.

Kyle

I was planing on getting the 173 grn hv's. Will be shooting them out of a 30-338 lapua imp, with a 30" 1-10 twist lija barrel, #6 taper fluted. Estimating from GS's data I should be getting 3700fps +. GS sent me a note today saying that the twist I have would be too slow, and that the 173's would tumble on impact. They said I should shoot the 160's. I am old school and this seems sooo light. I am coming down from 220grn Hawk bullets to the 173's. Now to go down to the 160's I am having a hard time swallowing. Will I have problems w/ so much powder capacity behind this light of a bullet?
Any sugestions would be great.
Thanks, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.