Ground blind netting thing?

Bigeclipse

All,
I saw a thing at a sporting goods store but don't remember what it was called. it is kind of like a ground blind with out a roof. It is simply ground blind netting with some posts. You would put the posts in the ground and the netting hangs off the posts. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Also, would a deer spot this from say 50+ yards away and be spooked by it? The reason I am asking is there is a part of our property that has some thickish woods. We do not have a stand in that location yet and the trees are not really suitable for a climbing stand so my only option is to sit on the ground. I was going to simply sit at the base of a tree but then remembered seeing this ground blind thing at the store but cannot find it anymore. Thanks!

If its what I am thinking of several companies make it. HS, Avery, a few more too. It is in my opinion more geared toward the turkey hunter than for deer hunting. There are some very good hub style blinds that I recommend over those styles. I have had great luck with my Double Bull Dark horse but I also like some of the smaller ones that are lighter and set up quicker. I have set up ground blinds and killed deer out of them with archery gear an hour later. I have also had luck sitting at a base of a tree so there is that too. If there is snow on the ground get in all white and they just cant see you. Be careful of your background so your not white on black or they will pick you out. Stand behind cover or in the open and your golden. I have had deer walk within 10 feet of me when I was standing on the ground in white in open timber.

If its what I am thinking of several companies make it. HS, Avery, a few more too. It is in my opinion more geared toward the turkey hunter than for deer hunting. There are some very good hub style blinds that I recommend over those styles. I have had great luck with my Double Bull Dark horse but I also like some of the smaller ones that are lighter and set up quicker. I have set up ground blinds and killed deer out of them with archery gear an hour later. I have also had luck sitting at a base of a tree so there is that too. If there is snow on the ground get in all white and they just cant see you. Be careful of your background so your not white on black or they will pick you out. Stand behind cover or in the open and your golden. I have had deer walk within 10 feet of me when I was standing on the ground in white in open timber.

Eh I want to avoid having to pack and setup a hub ground blind. I will just sit at the base of a tree...I was thinking of setting that netting stuff around the tree just to help hide a little more movement is all. I do also turkey hut so it wouldn't go to waste either in that regard.

I would have to think that just stacking up some brush around the base of a tree would do the same exact thing? And you wouldn't need to carry it back and forth.

I would have to think that just stacking up some brush around the base of a tree would do the same exact thing? And you wouldn't need to carry it back and forth.

This is true as well but I won't even know what kind of brush is out there until I get there in the morning of my hunt.

This is true as well but I won't even know what kind of brush is out there until I get there in the morning of my hunt.

Are you far away from your property? I agree, this isn't something you'll want to do the morning of your hunt.

I normally hunt from a tree stand when possible. But I have built 2 ground blinds from brush just picked up off the ground. The first one I built when I was 15 and I'm 34 now. It pretty much looks the same. I just leave a chair in both year round. Every few years you may just need to throw a couple more branches on it as they do settle a bit over time.

Or heck, if it's thick like you say, bring a chainsaw and cut some shooting lanes. Use the brush from that. Killing 2 birds that way.

Are you far away from your property? I agree, this isn't something you'll want to do the morning of your hunt.

I normally hunt from a tree stand when possible. But I have built 2 ground blinds from brush just picked up off the ground. The first one I built when I was 15 and I'm 34 now. It pretty much looks the same. I just leave a chair in both year round. Every few years you may just need to throw a couple more branches on it as they do settle a bit over time.

Or heck, if it's thick like you say, bring a chainsaw and cut some shooting lanes. Use the brush from that. Killing 2 birds that way.

Yes I am about an hour away from the land and wont be there until the morning of the hunt. Thanks but I think everyone is misinterpreting what I am saying. I have a tree stand about 80 yards from this location. This tree stand is usually an awesome one but since the property was logged this year I have noticed the deer travel differently now since the season started this past weekend. I saw deer in this thick area about 80 yards from my stand, but it is to thick to shoot into it with out a clean sight line from where my stand is. I have walked in the area only once or twice last year. It is on a hill side. I was thinking if I sit at the base of a tree near the top of the hill I could shoot down and in there. And then I started remembering that netting stuff just to give me a little extra cover. After the season is over, we will likely put a permanent stand up in this area but for this weekend I was just thinking of something quick and easy. Heck if I am wasting my time with the netting thing I will just sit at the base of a tree with out it.

I gotcha. Another thing to consider is an umbrella blind. HS makes one of those too. I would bring in a fold up chair for comfort so you can sit longer too. I think the advantage of the umbrella blind is that it can double as a gun rest over the sticks and mesh netting. Also quicker to set up and take down.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.