Missouri Ground Hogs

I live In Delaware and in my spare time I shoot Ground Hogs on a farm and use a 22-250 to shoot them with. I use hollow point 55gr bullets and when I shoot one it blows up.

On my uncle's farm in Northern MO, there is an abandoned railroad, no rails or ties. The diggin' must be easy there as last summer I shot 4-5 g'hogs every time out.

It's grown up quite abit, but there are places where they come out to "sun" themselves. I find the ol' Rem. 700V in 22-250 with a 50 gr Sierra Blitz is just the best with 39 gr. of H380 and a Fed M210 primer.

Most shots are over 200 yds., to around 350-400. I don't need to get closer, using a 6-24 scope with a 1/8min. dot. Usually April- Sept. is best. I've never seen any very far from that old railroad-bed area. I've hunted that same area for 5-6 summers (off & on) and the g'hog population is still about the same, so they must raise several pups every spring.

Jim

I just purchased my first AR15 and plan to purchase a 24X scope in the next week or so. Growing up I use to hunt chucks in upstate New York with my grandfather. We use to bag 4-5 chucks a day from decent distances. I really enjoyed hunting them and would love to hunt them again.

I live in Kansas City MO and don't know many folks who hunt chucks in the area. I just found this forum and was delighted to read some of the posts. I'd love the opportunity to link up with someone on this forum to hunt chucks. If someone knows a good location I'd love to go with you. Or if someone could please provide a contact of a farmer who is willing to let folks hunt chucks that would be fantastic. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thank You! gun)

Well, Lerch and I called the people who are leasing the farm, and no chucks.

Our search then took us to New Mexico. I know a guy who is a game warden near Tucumcari. He is a shooter and said he has never heard of anyone shooting them. He grew up down in southern NM, so if it does go on further up north he just may not know about it. Any info here would sure help.

Just when we had given up hope, Lerch got an email from a guy in east central MO. The guy said they had a few there but long range was out of the question. He suggested east KS for long range chucks.

I managed to find a map of the counties in KS where chucks have been confirmed to live. The problem is how many? I don't want to drive 6-8 hours for 2 shots all weekend.

Another problem is the fact that we will simply have to make contact with a farmer to obtain permission once we get out there. Again, any info here would be appreciated.

Chris and Domster:
If we do manage to get something going in this region, I'll let you know. We'd love you guys to come along.

Thanks for all the info guys.
B.J.
I don't know of any ground hogs in NM but there's a pot load of Prairie dogs, or used to be in The Sand Hills between Muleshoe and Portales.

Lubbock is overrun with them as well.

Most of the time if you find a farm or ranch with them on it the owners will be happy for you to come and pile them up.

They make good coyote bait as well.

We used to shoot PD's all day and then sit there on the same dog towns at night to shoot the Coyotes and Bobcats that came to clean up after us.

I grew up west of St. Louis in the country and I loved shooting ground hogs in the morning before school. We have a barn in the back yard and they would come out to eat clover in the morning. Just had to sneak around the end of the house and connect the ears with a .22. You're right when you say they're wary, you have to be pretty sneaky when you're only 30yds away.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.