Gotta eat my words....

goodgrouper

I have been very open with the fact that there seems to be lots of voodoo that goes on in the ballistics world but the one thing that seems to be written in stone was how VLD's needed to be stuffed into the riflings to get them to shoot. Well, I guess I need to chisel that out of the stone. I have just completed load development 4 rifles that favored VLD's over any other bullet and two of the 4 shot fine jumping .100" or more to the lands although they shot better closer to the lands loaded single shot but the other two guns ACTUALLY PREFERRED to jump over .100" to shoot well! So, while the vast majority of the guns I've seen liked to be jammed, I can't say anymore that VLD's won't shoot if they're not jammed. There are a few that break the rules!!

I have seen the same thing on occassion, but still think as a general rule they shoot better jambed. There may be some exception for the berger 180s and the 115 bergers. I have noticed improved accuracy with these at times by jumping them. In at least 3 guns I thought I would be hunting a different bullet because of the desire to load to magazine length. I was wrong they shot just as well or better jumping. The 168s on the other hand would not shoot well at all unless they were jambed. No knock on the 168s they shoot really well out of my 7wsm just not when loaded to mag length.

I shoot 168 VLD in my 30-378 Weatherby. With the rifles long throat, I come nowhere near touching the lands if I want the bullet seated deep enough to get good neck tension. That being said, I can still keep it well below MOA at 100 yards. Will be shooting in a match with varying ranges Sat (100, 200, 300 and 440 yards).

Rocky

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.