A pic worth a thousand words:

GG,

Perhaps the truth is something they aren't comfortable admitting. Since heavier bullets are generally used on big, tough animals that can sometimes bite, I think they would rather have people use their partition. Could be they don't have faith in their Accubond when high velocity and close range are involved. Yes, the ,300 Wby's and Ultra's are sometimes used on brown bears but they are seldom recommended by guides. I think the .375 H&H would stabilize a 300 gr. Accubond too but they don't offer that one either.

Like you said, maybe Swift can be persuaded. Or what about the Hornady Interbond?

Festus

Jon A

I used the 300's in the 338s, I couldn't find a reason to use the 250SMK. I did use the 250 GameKing for a couple of close range Texas hogs and it looked remarkably like all other Sierra bullets in that it slipped the core a bit (the dead critters offered no comments).

GoodGrouper

It's about the bullet, if I didn't like a bullet I wouldn't use it either so we certainly agree I guess. I have begun switching to Accubonds for some rifles (375 H&H) but its hard to come off the 175SMK in my 308s. Just the other day I fired three 416 caliber 400 grain Barnes into a touching cloverleaf at 100 yards from my 416 Rigby (advertised BC is .546), I might try the Barnes in my 308s and 300WSM. (That **** 416 kicks... it knocked little drops of moisture from my eyes onto the inside of my glasses with each shot, I gotta stop shooting that prone from a bipod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Dave,
I agree with you but if Nosler thinks a 250 gr AB is too long, a 275 gr AB would be out of the question.

Do you know how long the 250 gr and 300 gr MK bullets are?
The Nosler 225 gr AB is 1.447 and I would "guess" that a 250 gr AB would be 1.560". Would be an interesting comparison.

Regards,

JD338

Thanks Dave. That's what I was getting at--it's the 300 338 that has such a good reputation for LRH. I don't know of many who use the 250. It would be interesting to see how the 300 would do in that same test.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts