Got Any Canadian Whitetail Pics/Stories?

EasternNChunter

After dreaming of hunting Canadian Whitetails since I was 13 years old I made it up to Alberta last year (2014) and hunted with a great outfitter. I hunted 8 days from sun up to sun down and froze my butt off. I saw a few decent bucks (140") but not what I had waited 22 years for. Despite not seeing what I consider a shooter Canadian buck, I left most of my extreme cold weather gear at my outfitters house and will be going back asap (hopefully 2016). I hunted the 2nd week of November but I believe most of the big bucks were locked down with does. I know it varies a little year to year but in the future I am hoping to hunt the 3rd and 4th weeks on 2 week hunts.

So back to the point of this post, if any of you guys have hunted Canada, I would love to hear your stories and see your pics.

I have hunted Alberta every year for several years. while there are lots of big bucks, you really have to work hard for them. Got this guy after sitting a stand in sub zero weather all week. On my last day, last hour, he showed up trailing a hot doe at 200 yards. I had passed him up on my first morning at 800 yards crossing a slew. Just wouldn't stop for a clean shot. Waiting him out paid off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 142
That's a Canadian bruiser alright---Congrats on sticking it out in the elements!

Thanks. Can't say I get a good buck every year, but that's what makes a mature whitetail buck IMO one of the top trophys. Lucked out this year as well with this guy. Shot him about 2 miles from where I shot the buck in the previous post. Key point about hunting these big bodied Canadian bucks is that it is very easy to think you are looking a a 140 class animal when in fact it's really a 160+ buck, They have bodies that are much bigger then you would tyically encounter in the states.This was the case with this buck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 155
Been hunting Canadian Whitetails in Nova Scotia since I was a boy. My family has had a place there since 1745. This was the nicest buck I shot there 245 pound 9 pointer. Boone and Crocket 136". Call him the Steve's buck after an old friend who passed away the day before I got him.

Always something about a Canadian Whitetail.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Attachments

• 013_13.jpg
    013_13.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 188
scottishcat, I'd like to hunt nova scotia again.Iwas there 10yrs,ago or so.hunted 2 yrs. in a row.no luck!my dad had hunted in the 1950s when their was a 2 deer limit I think.they would return with their limits of big bucks as I remember.They would hunt the Marqaree Valley I think.Indian guide and all.I would like to return to CapeBreton Island and see that area as I'v been to CristmasIs. myself.Love those northern deer&the body sizes!That NovaScotia is beautiful country.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.