Shot a pig of a whitetail last night PICS!

Tikkamike

Last night I went out with my dad to see if we could spot a whitetail buck. It started to rain on us and nothing was coming out so we decided to leave got about a hundred yards and it stopped raining so I said I was going to go back and wait till dark up on the bluff we had been perched on. I walked around the corner and immediately spotted a whitetail doe. pulled the binos up and saw there was a buck with her. I couldnt tell how big but could tell he was a shooter since the general season in only a week long and i still have a late season whitetail tag. So I asked dad if he wanted to shoot it he didnt answer so I got set up and I said again. are you gonna shoot him? he said no i dont want to cross the river to go get him. I said ok I will. I ranged him at 475 yards. got behind my 2506 and let it rip. he did a donkey kick and was off. i heard it hit and watched him run. but after about 100 yards the does had all stopped which led me to believe they were wondering what he was doing but wasnt sure. I wasnt going to go after him across the riiver at night so I went back this morning. and boy am i glad i didnt cross the river in the dark. it was pretty quick and chest high in spots. I got over there. went to where he was standing when i shot him and started walking in the direction he went and there he was about 100 yards away in the grass. I wasnt sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. he is by far my best buck ever.

IMG_20101018_135607.jpg

IMG_20101018_135616.jpg

IMG_20101018_135626.jpg

Very very nice whitetail Mike!!:D

Looks to be way bigger than the ones I see over here in my area.
Glad to hear another great tail of the 25-06! Love mine, I've had two over the years, eventually shot out the first one using it on prarie dogs on windy days.

Yeah the 25-06 doesn't seem to get the credit that it should. I love this thing. I think I'm gonna shoot a cow elk with it this year I have always wanted to see how it would do on one..

Yeah the 25-06 doesn't seem to get the credit that it should. I love this thing. I think I'm gonna shoot a cow elk with it this year I have always wanted to see how it would do on one..

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk w/ mine. I buy a liscence every year, but never seem to see any in the area I hunt. I'd like to shoot one at 300 yds or so with mine (and the 100 gr Barnes TSX) to see how it'd do though. I know lots of elk have been taken over the years with 25-06 and even 243's, but the one's I'v heard of have all been inside 200 yds.??

Up until a few years ago all my sister used for elk was her 243 with 100 grain partitions. Have seen her put them down out to 350 yards with it. I would like to try about a 500 yard shot on one with my 25-06 with 100 ttsx. It has blown through the shoulders of big deer and antelope with no problem at that range so I think it'll kill no problem. Probably not exit on the shoulders though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.