"Good Wool Socks"

KY Gun Geek

Colorado in October - 10,000 - 12,000 feet.

Been researching clothing here on LRH and socks get mentioned often. However, they always say something like "good wool socks".

Well, a little more research and socks can vary from 15% wool to 90% wool, the other stuff being lycra, spandex, or acrylic.

So, does more wool mean better? It makes sense that you need a little something else to keep shape and stretch, but how much is best?

Smart Wool Skiing Light Socks. These are my absolute favorite. Light and not bulky, very warm, very comfortable.

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&ysmcpn=Tops&ysmgrp=Sweater&ysmtrm=smartwool+sweater&ysmchn=YSM&ysmtac=PPC&OVRAW=smartwool%20socks&OVKEY=smartwool%20sweater&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=20875106521&OVKWID=190761592021&ysmwa=ilLO6M9jty548bniDCJyk7tMEjhRO8F1Wh1vqALLbZQxmMvd6hvvXLKvQ-GKqo57#/mens/socks/performancesocks/SnowSports/303/

I also ALWAYS take a set of Icebreaker Merino wool 200 tops and bottoms with me to the mountains anytime of year. They can litteraly be life savers. You can wear them for a week straight and they will not collect body oder. They make great PJ's on a cold night if your sleeping bag isn't quite keeping you warm - they will keep you toasty. I have worn just the tops and bottoms with a shell while back country skiing in subzero weather, and as long as I kept moving, I was comfortably warm. Just last weekend, I was fishing in the Yellowstomne backcountry with just sandals, shorts and T-shirt when a T-storm rolled in dropping the temps from 70 to 40 in about 5 min with blowing rain, sleet and hail. I put the merino wool top on under my T-shirt and then put my ultralight rain shell overtop. I was very comfortable until the storm passed about an hour later.

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/icebreaker_man_bodyfit200_oasis_crewe.html?thumb_value=Ink

Be prepared in the backcountry.

-MR

bridgedale. brought my first pair 3 years ago and ill never own a different pair of socks for mountaineering or hunting or hiking
not sure if u can get them there though

smartwool x 2. I got my first pair like 10 years ago. I've used a pair on an 80° antelope hunt and a warmer pair on a well below zero bowhunt...

To me, having 8 yrs of living, working outside mostly, hiking, and hunting, experience in Colorado the best sox are a Merino Wool Blend. Brand and mix can vary. The price can be 9.00 a pair for Browning or 4for20.00 from Sportsman's Guide. They are warmest, wear longest, and dont make feet sweat as much. When I worked in AK they used to say for winter "ABC", anything but cotton, and I really believe that. 100% wool sox are poorest choice as they dont wear long at all. Good luck on your quest for warm dry feet.

+1 on what montana rifleman says. i dont particularly like 100% wool socks as the thread in the weave tends to hurt my tender feet after a while. good lightweight wool blend longjohns are great also. the most extreme kind of hunting i have ever done out here is lion hunting. you are always in snow from akle to waist deep, usually in temps hovering around the zero mark and some hunts turned into marathons similar to the kudu persitence hunt on another thread here. wool is the only way to go.

on the other hand, dont forget to bring shorts and sandals on your october colo hunt. sometimes we have what is called indian summer weather at that time of the year and it is so warm you will not want wool....AJ

I really like the Cabelas brand wool blend, and others I know like them as well. I think what makes them stand out is the shape and elastic. Filson makes a great pair of warm weather wool socks which are very thin and breathable on parts of your feet and thick on others.

I work outside all winter long in ND. We had some -45 temps before windchill. I wear a cabelas ultimax merino wool socks and 600gram redwing boots. I am a blaster so I walk and load holes all day long.

Merino wool socks and the underarmour face mask were worth every penny for me last winter.

Brent

Cabelas Outfitter Series Merino Wool/Polypropelyne Blend. Coems in 3 weights. I wear the lightweight al summer long with Oakley Tactical boots, and the heavyweight in the winter with my Danner (uninsulated) Acadia's. Hunt in both weights depending on the conditions.

It can top 110 degrees in the summer and drop below zero in the winter. Being stuck on a perimeter at night in the dead of winter on a SWAT call out will let you know where your gear lacks! for udner $10 a pair I love these socks.

BRIDGEDALE - Best in the industry. Talk to those in the industry and many will say that about these socks. After 20+ years of technical alpine climbing and many miles in the backcountry hunting and hiking, they are my go to sock. SmartWool and Thorlo, etc.? Good socks. Bridgedale? Great socks.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Endurance Summit Socks - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

This summit sock is my choice for hunting/climbing.

Put a Bridgedale coolmax liner under the summit sock and you'll be good to go.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Coolmax Liner Socks (2 Pack) - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

Didn't mean to plug altrec.com. Just the first site that came up, however, a good buddy of mine is a VP there. Help 'em out!

BRIDGEDALE - Best in the industry. Talk to those in the industry and many will say that about these socks. After 20+ years of technical alpine climbing and many miles in the backcountry hunting and hiking, they are my go to sock. SmartWool and Thorlo, etc.? Good socks. Bridgedale? Great socks.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Endurance Summit Socks - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

This summit sock is my choice for hunting/climbing.

Put a Bridgedale coolmax liner under the summit sock and you'll be good to go.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Coolmax Liner Socks (2 Pack) - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

Didn't mean to plug altrec.com. Just the first site that came up, however, a good buddy of mine is a VP there. Help 'em out!

Jmden, these look like good socks, how bulky are they? My Smartwool ski socks are not like other smartwool boot socks. They are not at all bulky, very warm and cushioned. Have you tried the smartwool ski socks and if so how do they compare to the Bridgedale's?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.