socks

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by sp260, Jan 18, 2010.

1. sp260

sp260 Well-Known Member

See guys talking about boots. I'd like to know what socks guys are using and if your layering?
    thanks

2. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

ingenious socks for less cold weather, or REI merino wool hiker or lite hiker for cold or less cold. a little goldbond in each sock and each boot helps alot!

3. 400classelk

400classelk Active Member

Smartwool socks.

4. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

+1 I have all my in laws hooked on them too.

5. HUAINAMACHERO

HUAINAMACHERO Well-Known Member

Will have to give those smartwool socks a try!!!

6. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

sealskins....they are waterproof

7. partisan1911

partisan1911 Well-Known Member

I prefer to do much of my hunting in the mountains (less people and presssure). I just recently started using the Vermont Darn tough Socks (merino wool) and found they work outstanding. I don't layer, otherwise my boots won't fit correctly. I always carry extra socks, even if I am out for just a day hunt. I like gold bond the best for powder but I don't put it in my socks. That has the possibility of 'clumping'. The best way is to put it directly on your feet each night.

8. TargetTerror

TargetTerror Member

I'm a big Thorlo fan. I like the Smartwool socks but find they tend to lose their elasticity somewhat over the course of the day. Makes my feet feel off in my boots.

9. shimoda

shimoda Well-Known Member

Smartwool and Bridgedale with synthetic liners.

10. Skimbleshanks

Skimbleshanks Well-Known Member

I have found that if you are going to put 10 miles on you feet day after day after day liners are incredibly important. After 9 or 12 days of that abuse the only pair of socks that are not slapped out are the ones kept in your pack just in case. Columbia and smart wool are the best I have used so far though.

11. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

Smartwool

12. kc

kc Well-Known Member

In 1978 a 14 year old girl stole her parents car, I was on my way home from work and was on a Yamaha 500 and was hit, my bike was in 3 pieces and my rt foot was crushed.It was God will I still have my foot but I lost 70% of every major use, I lost a major amount of blood flow and my feet get cold real easy..I bought a pair of socks to keep my skin grafts from damage, cotton
    socks were a real problem, I got my hands on a pair from a store that caters to runners
    there called Right Socks, they are about $10.00 a pair, but they last a very long time (2 years)
    they keep my feet real toasty..they are worth what I payed. But I also use Boots from Cabelas
    they are made by Mendel they are made in Germany. 800 Gortex and Thinsalate.
    I love them they are like slippers.
    Keith.

13. woodchopper

woodchopper Member

Have had bad exxperience with smart wool socks. They feel good to the feet, but if your feet get hot and sweaty, they peal the skin off my heals even with sock linners.

14. glocker21

glocker21 Active Member

Do they breath or is it like having your foot in a plastic bag?