good backpack

Recon$$

Im looking for a good day pack between 80 and 120 bucks. Specifically for my mulie hunt next month. Something to carry my gear and throw meat in when packing it out. I wont have to haul anything farther than a mile or two. Good back support is a must. Not worried about carrying to much stuff, im a bare bones type of guy. So nothing huge, just looking to spend my money wisely. What do you all suggest.

Thanks

I hate to say it but there isn't anything quality or even servicable in that price range for your application. $180 is about the minimum.

Poney up the extra cash and get an Ebberlestock Dragonfly or the Just one. I have the Just one and the X1 my buddy has the dragonfly. They cost a little more but they are well worth the price. They are the most comfortable pack I have ever used even when hauling 60 +lbs.

I know, I most likely will poney up just seeing if there are any value packs out there that will get the job done without breaking the bank. I have pretty much spent my bankroll on everything else getting ready for the hunt and I need a new pack and i'm trying to skimp a little if at all possible. Those Ebberlestock are nice packs.

I have an eberlestock J34 and love it. You might be able to find a used one if you watch the classifieds. They are worth the money.

For a great day pack/hauler pack in your price range, take a look at the LL Bean Hunter's Carry All Pack. With the addition of a simple stuff sack you will have a backpack that will provide unmatched utility for the price. I've had mine loaded my down with 50lbs+ and it remains very comfortable to carry.

Hunter's Carryall Pack: Gear Bags at L.L.Bean

Poney up the extra cash and get an Ebberlestock Dragonfly or the Just one. I have the Just one and the X1 my buddy has the dragonfly. They cost a little more but they are well worth the price. They are the most comfortable pack I have ever used even when hauling 60 +lbs.

I have the eberlestock dragonfly also and with accessories it will do everything. If adjusted correctly and the right accessories are used it works great. Find a used one or just pony the money up. I have had and do have some mystery ranch packs and these are very comfortable but I think better suited to military applications. One of my mystery packs retails for $750 but I like the eberlestock for hunting better. Just my thoughts!

Check out the REI outlet.com I just picked up a 90 liter REI Mars for about $90 shipped to the store. Haven't used it yet but the quality seems pretty good and REI service is always excellent.

For a day pack I use an Eberlestock X2 and it works great, it has a frame and I've packed some decent loads out on it, a Justone or Dragonfly are also awesome packs and they have more adjustments to get the pack to fit each person alot better and are more comfortable than the X2 with real heavy loads

If money wasnt an issue I'd say get a Justone or Dragonfly (I personally prefer the Bluewidow the most cuz 90% of my hunting is with a bow) but for $190 the X2 is hard to beat and almost half the price of a Dragonfly

I still suggest you consider the LL Bean Hunter's Carry All and add a compression sack or two. I too have an expensive pack (Kifaru Longhunter Standard) which I like a lot, but the little Carry All is a great little pack for just $79.00. Yeah, the Kifaru is an incredible pack, but my Carry All is going elk and deer hunting this year as well. I've got close to 6 or 7 miles hiking with mine and it is comfortable even under the stress of 50# pack weight.

+1 for Eberlestock. I bought a $130 NorthFace pack last year for my first elk hunt. No major issues. But felt like I could do better. So, I bought an Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly back in the spring. Mostly because I liked the idea of an internal rifle scabbard. Partly beacause of good reviews on the 'net.

I am not a professional back packer. But, no comparison... First trip out with the Eberlestock weighted to 35 lbs, I did 2 miles around the farm. The pack was barely noticeable. Even tho I have lost a lot of weight, I am still XL around the waist. The stock hip belt fit with summer clothes, but obviously was not going to fit with bulky cold weather hunting gear. I ordered the Eberlestock XL replacement hip belt. Took less than 5 minutes to replace. And the XL belt appears to have even more cushion than the stock belt.

I kept adding weight to the pack over the summer as I did my hiking workouts with the pack and rifle. For the past month I have been packing a total weight of right around 60 lbs for 3.0 to 3.5 miles 2x per week. Still no issues with the pack. No chafes. No rubs. No blisters. No pinch points. Only thing I had to do was learn how to mount a 60 lb pack by myself.

Packed my gear for Colorado 2nd rifle last night. The Eberlestock pack is loaded, ready to go on the trailer. The NorthFace pack is still sitting in the corner.

I have an Eberlestock X-1 I bought a few months back. I've used it a few times scouting and carried it hunting the past couple weeks. I just had the chance to really break it in though.
I killed a doe in the Western NC mountains during muzzleloader season. The area was rugged thick woods.
In this photo I have four quarters, two backstraps, two tenderloins and a several pounds of trimmings crammed in the pack, and was able to cinch it down tight and zip it closed. With the rifle, it weighed 66 lbs. The only thing missing that would make this the perfect picture is some big honkin antlers strapped on back!

I can't say enough good about Eberlestock. It does its job and does it well.

Attachments

• packing out deer 1 email.jpg
    packing out deer 1 email.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
If I lived 24/7 with a pack on my back...then something like the Eberlestock is the only way to fly......but to pack a "hind quarter" out of the woods once a year for low costs....a surplus Army Molle bag and frame will do fine. Many a good man has humped many a heavy load over bad terrain with one and it didnt let him down.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.