Who's got a good backpack hunting story from this year?

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
Alright guys, my western hunting season has been over for a while now. I've got a little whitetail deer hunting here in Wisconsin yet and my buddy Matt and I are going to duck and goose hunt this last weekend of the duck season. We'll field hunt for honkers in the morning and evening and canoe a narrow, fast moving river during the day ,jump shooting. It's some of the only open water anywhere around here - it's been cold. It's gonna be a blast. Matt's my buddy who arrowed his first bull this Sept.

Anyway, I need to hear some good backpack hunting stories since my backpack hunting season is over and I already miss it and have started thinking about next year. And don't forget the pictures.

Here are a few from my season.
12.jpg

111.jpg

1.jpg
Hard to see but this was a nice wallow with mud slung all over that big rock.
11.jpg

Be VERY prepared for a canoe upset in cold water. Immerson hypothermia can kill very quickly.

At minimum you should wear a "Farmer John"neoprene sleeveless short body wet suit. (And your camo PFD, of course. Wet hunting clothing can be very heavy when trying to "swim".)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.