Good value scope?

86alaskan,

I had the same experience when I bought a VX-6 4-24X52 and still had the Swarovski z5-5-25X52. The colors are more vibrant and the glass was the slightest bit better and just as good in low light. The Swarovski is six ounces lighter at 18 oz.

yep, I had the 5-25 and it was a great scope, but I wanted a lower bottom end while maintaining the top end, and the Leupold fits that bill very nicely. I think the 3-18x50 is right around 18-19oz, so not bad for what you're getting.

OUCH, I've been flamed! :eek:
Here ya go ! Wink . ;)
Z0tLFxicpEx_.JPG

Primary Arms 4-16 first focal plane scope is very good value for money. I own two of them. Around $250

I'm looking for a scope to go on a midwestern whitetail hunt. I would like the zoom to be in the 16x+ category. I will need to adjust the elevation on this scope for the longer shots. I do not want to spend more than necessary. The Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with CDS looks appealing and seems to check the boxes, but I would love to be able to spend less if the cheaper scope will still be effective. Any recommendations?
I have 3 SWFA SS scopes, and for the money it is VERY hard to beat the value you get with them. I can't afford the HD model that I'm linking you to, but I have heard amazing things about these rivaling Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, NF, and the Vortex Razor line...

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope-1.html

Another inexpensive option is the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1... I have 4 of theses and I HIGHLY recommend them. And for the money, they are near-impossible to beat.

https://swfa.com/vortex-6-24x50-viper-hs-t-30mm-rifle-scope.html

Have you looked at the Burris Veracity in 3-15 or 4-20.
I bought a 4-20 this spring it is a very clear scope. In fact I would say very close to my Swaro. It also has a ffp reticle to aid in long distance shooting. The 1 downside if you call it a down side they are heavy.

For actual hunting and esp if long range is involved don't go cheap!
You get what u pay for period!
Lst time I looked down the line I didn't see a bunch of sub par " good for the money " **** on legit rifles. Their is a reason for that! And it ain't because they all got the cheez. its because when u put in the work and effort to polish a skill set you want your kit to be an addition not a henderance to your craft. I am not a leupold fan AT ALL! But I have purchased a VX6hd and the glass is very good when compared to my USO, ATACR, and SB's.

I have 3 SWFA SS scopes, and for the money it is VERY hard to beat the value you get with them. I can't afford the HD model that I'm linking you to, but I have heard amazing things about these rivaling Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, NF, and the Vortex Razor line...

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope-1.html

Another inexpensive option is the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1... I have 4 of theses and I HIGHLY recommend them. And for the money, they are near-impossible to beat.

https://swfa.com/vortex-6-24x50-viper-hs-t-30mm-rifle-scope.html

Second this. I shot the vortex for years against some very expensive rifles and still managed a couple blue ribbons. I changed to the swfa this year to see what I think of mils and am not disappointed.

I don't know what the hs-t costs now, but I bought mine around $400 and couldn't find a noticeably better scope for less than $1000 until someone turned me onto the swfa. I got my swfa for just under $800 in february.

Last edited:
I have to agree with rafterfp do not go cheap on your scope. My burris blows my Vortex Viper out of the water. The Vortex was the 4-16 hst and at 16x was not clear to look through. My Burris is the 4-20 and on 20 is still crystal clear and a much better built scope. The Leupold vx6 HD was not out when I got the Burris but the vx6 was. To me the Burris seemed the better deal for about 600 less. By deal I mean it was much clearer and felt like a better built scope. Don't get me wrong I am a Leupold fan as I have a lot of them. In fact I was actually not a real Burris fan until I got this Veracity.

I have to agree with rafterfp do not go cheap on your scope. My burris blows my Vortex Viper out of the water. The Vortex was the 4-16 hst and at 16x was not clear to look through. My Burris is the 4-20 and on 20 is still crystal clear and a much better built scope. The Leupold vx6 HD was not out when I got the Burris but the vx6 was. To me the Burris seemed the better deal for about 600 less. By deal I mean it was much clearer and felt like a better built scope. Don't get me wrong I am a Leupold fan as I have a lot of them. In fact I was actually not a real Burris fan until I got this Veracity.

I'll have to x2 (or 3) with rafterfp and Wild Bill. I've seen my fair share of guys rocking a solid rifle with a cheap scope get extremely frustrated when their optics go down. A good warranty ain't gonna help you in the field.

When it comes to Vortex, I'm really undecided. My first purchase was a PST, great turrets, solid reticle, absolute garbage glass. I recommend the HS-T to a friend wanting a budget LR optic... glass was night and day better than my PST, go figure. I really do like my Gen 1 Razor HD (minus the eye box) but at 2x the cost of the PST and 4x the cost of the HS-T, it had better be that good.

I'm pricing solid optics right now and I keep going back to the Burris Veracity.

t

I'll have to x2 (or 3) with rafterfp and Wild Bill. I've seen my fair share of guys rocking a solid rifle with a cheap scope get extremely frustrated when their optics go down. A good warranty ain't gonna help you in the field.

When it comes to Vortex, I'm really undecided. My first purchase was a PST, great turrets, solid reticle, absolute garbage glass. I recommend the HS-T to a friend wanting a budget LR optic... glass was night and day better than my PST, go figure. I really do like my Gen 1 Razor HD (minus the eye box) but at 2x the cost of the PST and 4x the cost of the HS-T, it had better be that good.

I'm pricing solid optics right now and I keep going back to the Burris Veracity.

t

My dad just put a veracity on his .300 wm. I like it alright, glass is nice, seems like a solid scope, tacked true for the few times I have shot it. (No box test or anything) Problem comes with the vertical hashes, they are not MoA or mil; they are yardage hashes for 300-400-500 or whatever holds. Aside from that, and my limited use of it, seems like a good scope around $800.

Veracity scopes come with a variety of reticles. The 5-25 can some with the scr Moa reticle same as xtr 11. They also have ballistic reticles

I put a 4-20x50 Veracity on my CZ 527 Varmint 204 and for a scope in its price point it is a pretty decent piece.

I have a 20-250 build in the works and just picked up a Leupold VX6 3-18x50 w/TMOA reticle (non HD model) from Natchez for $899 shipped.

To do all over again, I'd have gone with the same Leupold VX6 on my CZ instead of the Veracity.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.