Good value scope?

qwerty11

I'm looking for a scope to go on a midwestern whitetail hunt. I would like the zoom to be in the 16x+ category. I will need to adjust the elevation on this scope for the longer shots. I do not want to spend more than necessary. The Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with CDS looks appealing and seems to check the boxes, but I would love to be able to spend less if the cheaper scope will still be effective. Any recommendations?

Get the Leupold. Buy once, cry once. IMHO, for perhaps a once in a lifetime chance on a trophy animal, optics is not a place to skimp. That being said, I do have two plinker rifles with Vortex Crossfire II scopes. I haven't owned them for very long. Time will tell how they work out. My NF and Leupold scopes are very reliable.

After having owned one for a year plus, my vote goes for the Athlon Cronus. I have run it in the heat,cold, and it sloshed around in my backpack a few times on ruck runs. Always returns to zero and easily the best glass per dollar of any scope in my arsenal. I also own a Vortex AMG and the Athlon holds it's own against that scope for about 1k less...Looks like Athlon has a couple of other scopes in their line up that might fit the bill for you as well.

I'm looking for a scope to go on a midwestern whitetail hunt. I would like the zoom to be in the 16x+ category. I will need to adjust the elevation on this scope for the longer shots. I do not want to spend more than necessary. The Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with CDS looks appealing and seems to check the boxes, but I would love to be able to spend less if the cheaper scope will still be effective. Any recommendations?

I am a huge fan of Lucid Optics. I shot my Antelope last year at 460 yards using the 6-24 x 50 L5 scope. This is a MOA scope but if you like Mils the have another scope called the MLX in the 4.5-18x range. The company has been great to work with and have lifetime warranties on the glass. My whole family uses them in Wyoming.

Very impressed with a swfa 3-15x44 in ffp. Not high mag, but tracks true and has great glass for the price. For $750ish I don't think you can go wrong. Biggest drawback, as a hunting gun, is the semi-obstrusive target turrets.

I switched from a vortex hs-t and have been shooting with it since March.

Last edited:
qwerty11,

If you can handle a 15X and a 56mm objective you might take a look at the Leupold VX-5 3-15X56. I got one the other day and was blown away by its low light ability compared to other more expensive optics. Up to 15X it was just as good as the VX-6 4-24X52 and beat it by six minutes in the low light test. Its return to zero was a very nice feature and the clicks were much better than the VX-6.

Sightron s-tac is one of the best value scopes I think. They make a 3-15 and 4-20. I own a 4-20 and really like it. If ur looking to save money it will do everything u need for a lower price.
I also have a new vx3i lrp. Really like it, glass is crisp. If ur putting together a gun leaning towards targets I would consider one. If it's more of a hunting rifle the vx5 is an awesome scope. Both are 50% more money than the sightron but half as much as the vx6

Get the Leupold. Buy once, cry once. IMHO, for perhaps a once in a lifetime chance on a trophy animal, optics is not a place to skimp. That being said, I do have two plinker rifles with Vortex Crossfire II scopes. I haven't owned them for very long. Time will tell how they work out. My NF and Leupold scopes are very reliable.
I am so sick of hearing that term , how about buy two for the price of a leuy and dont cry at all !!!!!!

Last edited:
Look at the vari-x 1...3x9 ... Up to 300 yards UT's fine... And the price is even better $149.00 out the door, lifetime warranty, clear and pocket the extra cash and it'll last a lifetime for almost nothing.

Heard lots of good things about the vx5hd, but haven't had the chance to look through one yet. I just recently purchased a Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 and love it.

If you're looking at the new VX-6HD, why not look for one of the previous model VX-6 3-18. when the new model came out I snatched up on of the previous at deep discount and it's as good or better than the Swarovski Z5 that it replaced. you'll be looking right around $1k for the 3-18x50mm VX-6, and you won't be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.