Good value scope?

My dad just put a veracity on his .300 wm. I like it alright, glass is nice, seems like a solid scope, tacked true for the few times I have shot it. (No box test or anything) Problem comes with the vertical hashes, they are not MoA or mil; they are yardage hashes for 300-400-500 or whatever holds. Aside from that, and my limited use of it, seems like a good scope around $800.

That is one reticle that I wish they'd drop... straight in the dumpster. I don't get it. On the other hand, if I did buy one I'd measure the subtensions and use them accordingly. 3, 5, 7 whatever. Most companies also offer calculators that will tell you exactly what yardages the hash marks zero on. Again, I find these reticles less than ideal (or useful) but, if I could get a killer deal I can make it work.

t

The reticle statement about the Burris Veracity is not true for the E1 FFP Varmint. It has 2 MOA hash marks above the horizontal and hold over below.

The reticle statement about the Burris Veracity is not true for the E1 FFP Varmint. It has 2 MOA hash marks above the horizontal and hold over below.

The varmint may well be, but the ballistic eh1 is not Moa nor are they mil rad. The calculation sheet it below. The veracity on my dad's 300 win mag has cds/yardage style hashes which are useless unless you are able to practice at your hunting altitude.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/ballistic-calibration-examples-ballistic-plex-e1-mil-dot

I was not part of buying the scope, only a shooter. If you go veracity, make sure you know which reticle you are getting.

Last edited:
While not inexpensive by any means--I really like the Bushnell elite LRHS..you can find the none illu 3x12 for around $850 if you look around. The glass is excellent, and the 3 I have ( 2--4.5x18-1, 3x 12)have all tracked well on many hunts. I took a sheep at 395--dialed and wham--took a mule deer at 250 not long after that...perfect. The glass is very acceptable, like the capped windage, and I love the simple G2 reticle.

I have a Burris Veracity 4-20 x 50 with M.A.D. turret system on my 340 Weatherby. So far, so good. It has decent glass which really excels in low light conditions. The clicks are solid and the turret mechanics are dead nuts on. I really like the reticle, which at low power draws your eye to the center of the crosshair, and a higher powers is easy to read for drift and holdover.

I put a 4-20x50 Veracity on my CZ 527 Varmint 204 and for a scope in its price point it is a pretty decent piece.

I have a 20-250 build in the works and just picked up a Leupold VX6 3-18x50 w/TMOA reticle (non HD model) from Natchez for $899 shipped.

To do all over again, I'd have gone with the same Leupold VX6 on my CZ instead of the Veracity.
Emphasis mine.

I have two of the same model and really like them. If I had unlimited money I'd replace all of my scopes with either that model or the 4-24x52 with the same reticle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.