Good range finder in the field?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by huntinfool18, Aug 2, 2006.

1. huntinfool18

huntinfool18 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anybody has has any good range finders that will ranger to at least 1000 yards for carring in the field. i have a lazer one but i cant get to read past 300 yards.

2. 1doug

1doug Well-Known Member

welcome and read about the swaro r/f

d-a

3. col48

col48 Well-Known Member

hi m8
    if you have the cash then lerch & bill have them at a good price,swaro that is.they are the next thread down,but hears the link anyway.
    http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=2&vc=1

thanks
    Colin

PS if you do a search on range finders then there is some good tests been done on a few different ones,and the swaro cake out tops.

4. huntinfool18

huntinfool18 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. sounds like the swaro is the way to go.

5. woodchopper

woodchopper Member

The problem with currently available range finders. They do not zoom in close enough to provide an accurate reading.

I wish someone would develope a range finding spotting scope.

I currently have a newcon optics, and have in perfect circumstances ranged to 1300 yards at a granite rock face.

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Not all Swaro units are made the same, just as Jeff (Broz). :rolleyes::D:)

7. Mike6158

Mike6158 Well-Known Member

I can tell you what isn't worth a crap :cool:

Leupold RXB-IV

As just a bino they are pretty good. Small... good optics.

The rangefinder is accurate enough but it's only good out to about 550 yards. They claim over 1000 yards to a "reflective" target... lot of good that does... I guess I could run over there and stick some reflective tape on the animal and then run back and range it... Battery life is terrible. You get maybe a couple of dozen ranges before low battery kicks in. It uses CR123's and those are pricey...

8. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

if 1000 is all you need the leica 1200 will serve you well, I ranged a deer yesterday with my first generation leica 1200 at 1218 yards.
    RR

9. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Old post and I would imagine Huntinfool18 has a couple of years with his decision but if your in the market and are willing to spend $1300 the Leica Geovids are a great buy from Camera-Land if bought before the end of the year(2009)......Just tell them the guys on the LRH board sent ya

10. Mike6158

Mike6158 Well-Known Member

In case someone stumbles across this thread:

I've tried a couple of the Leupolds and beyond about 500 yards they are done.

The Swarovski LG is awesome for it's size. So far I've only ranged to a shade over 1,100 yards but it does a great job. It ain't cheap... but it works.