Good range finder in the field?

huntinfool18

I was just wondering if anybody has has any good range finders that will ranger to at least 1000 yards for carring in the field. i have a lazer one but i cant get to read past 300 yards.

The problem with currently available range finders. They do not zoom in close enough to provide an accurate reading.

I wish someone would develope a range finding spotting scope.

I currently have a newcon optics, and have in perfect circumstances ranged to 1300 yards at a granite rock face.

I can tell you what isn't worth a crap :cool:

Leupold RXB-IV

As just a bino they are pretty good. Small... good optics.

The rangefinder is accurate enough but it's only good out to about 550 yards. They claim over 1000 yards to a "reflective" target... lot of good that does... I guess I could run over there and stick some reflective tape on the animal and then run back and range it... Battery life is terrible. You get maybe a couple of dozen ranges before low battery kicks in. It uses CR123's and those are pricey...

if 1000 is all you need the leica 1200 will serve you well, I ranged a deer yesterday with my first generation leica 1200 at 1218 yards.
RR

Old post and I would imagine Huntinfool18 has a couple of years with his decision but if your in the market and are willing to spend $1300 the Leica Geovids are a great buy from Camera-Land if bought before the end of the year(2009)......Just tell them the guys on the LRH board sent ya

In case someone stumbles across this thread:

I've tried a couple of the Leupolds and beyond about 500 yards they are done.

The Swarovski LG is awesome for it's size. So far I've only ranged to a shade over 1,100 yards but it does a great job. It ain't cheap... but it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.