Good Friends, Fine Rifles, and Cold Steel

Joel Russo

This past weekend my friends Baer, Royer, Panik and I headed to Ohio to do some testing, steel plate shooting, and to stretch the legs on the .338 Big Baer. We arranged with Tom Sarver, owner of Thunder Valley Precision Rifle Club range, to shoot steel out to around 2,500 yards.

We arrived mid afternoon on Friday, and started testing the .375 Big Baer with new bullets and a different twist barrel. Royer had some "seat time" with the rifle at 1,000 yards and the mile.

I set up my .30-.416 Rigby Improved, and introduced my good friend John Panik to the long range game. He never shot past 200 yards before, so I figured the mile was a good place to start. He did well shooting at the 12" plate missing it by inches a few times. I think he's hooked....

Here's a picture of my .30-.416 that Baer built. Hall action, Baer barrel block, Krieger barrel, Jewell, 8x32 NXS. Someday when I get time I'll make a purdy A-5L stock for it.
IMG_18212.jpg

Left to right, 6x47 Lapua, .416 Rigby case, .30-416 Improved. It shoots the 240 SMK real well.
IMG_18442.jpg

We then loaded up our gear and went to a shooting position where Sarver put a 12" plate out close to 2,000 yards. Baer ranged it with his high dollar Leica, and came in at 1,950 yards. We broke out the .338 Big Baers and took a few shots before it got dark. No direct hits, but we managed to splash some dirt on it more than once.

Baer and I dueling our .338 Big Baers.
IMG_18342.jpg

The 1,950 yard white plate just below the logging trail.
IMG_18252.jpg

Saturday morning we were at the range cleaning rifles and swapping the usual lies, when much to my surprise I learned that a few LRH members showed up to shoot the steel plate match. We had a "midwest mini chapter meeting". KQguy, flounder, and TH brought some fine rifles.
KQguy and TH did real well attacking the steel plates.
We shot half the course and packed up for the long trip home.
It was nice meeting some fellow members, I look forward to shooting together again.

Me shooting my .30-.416.
IMG_18402.jpg

The "Professor" Baer at work at 1,950 yards.
IMG_1841.jpg

Continued.......

KQguy checking his drops.
IMG_18302.jpg

TH chronographing his .338 Allen Mag.
IMG_1829.jpg

Left to Right .338 Allen Mag, .300 Hulk, my .338 Big Baer. Note the Ivey rings on the NF scope that I just took off the rifle.
IMG_18272.jpg

Sarver at 1,950.
IMG_18242.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun. I see you had an official LRH shirt on. With the guarantee it comes with, you had an unfair advantage though. :):)

Is that club open to the public?

It's a private club that you can join. It's also an IBS range that holds 1000 yard matches every month. It's the same range that I shot the 3.806" group at 1,680 yards last year.
You don't need to be a member to shoot the steel plate matches. Just show up, pay your $30.00, and shoot.

Left to Right .338 Allen Mag, .300 Hulk, my .338 Big Baer. Note the Ivey rings on the NF scope that I just took off the rifle.

I guess I would be embarrassed to show up with all my little pipsqueak calibers. :D

See you next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.