Good factory round for range

ill try and edit my post but i want to practice with my current rifle. im not looking for another rifle. I have the fierce rifle already but just want to practice with it more. i want a factory loaded round from like hornady or federal to shoot at the range that is not $40 a box.
You and I are in the same boat. Except for the factory ammo my gun loves is $60 a box. What I decided to do it start buying reloading equipment. Once I have all the items I need I should have enough good brass to last me a long time.

I wouldn't buy a new gun to practice with..... unless its the exact same thing you have..... yeah, sounds dumb, I know, and I am sure I will get a bunch of dim witted comments to this statement. You should be practicing with the gun you want to hunt with and with the rounds you want to hunt with. It will be a lot less expensive to buy good ammo and dial your gun in than buy a new gun, scope, pod...……… you get the picture. If you buy a different gun and spend all your time shooting it because its cheaper, your muscle memory will adapt to that gun and not the one you want to use. You need to get to know your gun and it be an extension of your self (like a body part).
I am the last person to say don't buy another gun, I a lot of guns, but I practice with the one I hunt with. and I always shoot the ammo that I plan on hunting with. Ammo, if you are not reloading, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $10 a box to get good ammo. I have had a lot of luck with Hornady, (CUSTOM, MATCH, PRECISION..... they all work for me). Some guns like one ammo better than another...….. just got to see what works best with your rifle.
good luck
Luckily I have a BRILLIANT-WITTED comment to this - but I am taking a different point of view IF what you are doing is working on your basic shooting skills, the firearm does not really matter. If you are going to use a bolt gun, get a bolt .22lr, likewise semi for semi. Position, Point of aim, breathing sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc are all universal shooting skills irrespective of the firearm. Shooting a .22lr at targets 100-200 years will also help develop the artistic skills for long range shooting - wind compensation, hold over, etc. For a real challenge - shoot a mini-Palma with a 22.lr with reduced simulated 800, 8900 and 1000 range targets. That is a humbling experience the first time. Once you have those pretty much down, then use you main firearm to repeat, and deal with the recoil difference. This has worked extremely well for me on basic skills affordably. .

Luckily I have a BRILLIANT-WITTED comment to this - but I am taking a different point of view IF what you are doing is working on your basic shooting skills, the firearm does not really matter. If you are going to use a bolt gun, get a bolt .22lr, likewise semi for semi. Position, Point of aim, breathing sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc are all universal shooting skills irrespective of the firearm. Shooting a .22lr at targets 100-200 years will also help develop the artistic skills for long range shooting - wind compensation, hold over, etc. For a real challenge - shoot a mini-Palma with a 22.lr with reduced simulated 800, 8900 and 1000 range targets. That is a humbling experience the first time. Once you have those pretty much down, then use you main firearm to repeat, and deal with the recoil difference. This has worked extremely well for me on basic skills affordably. .
You plan to live that long?:D

Your thread sure brought the purist out of the wood work!

Personally I wold buy the cheapest ammo you can get your hands on...

Shoot at 300 to 400 yards at a decent size piece of steel.

You will get your positive re-enforcement by getting hits....don't get too wrapped up in group size...

Your really only after trigger time and get your round count up.

Then before your hunt clean the barrel really well and then reset your zero, plus get some shots in to help foul the barrel a little !

I'm sorry the elitest showed up...not everyone needs .25 MOA at 1k day in and day out!
I'm new here but what the heck guess sooner or later going to p... off few so I agree with captain C I'm guessing we all started off as newbies learning this LR shooting some might have been born out of the womb shooting .25 moa why so harsh thought idea was to help each other out "teach" those not as experienced as others my only thing is if I'm just collecting brass what ever ammo is good but practice with what you are going to hunt with when time for hunt draws closer good luck

Good morning. i own a fierce fury rifle in 7mm rem mag. this rifle will be one of two rifles coming with me on a hunt this year. I want to train with the fierce rifle i own off a bipod and prone. Not looking to buy another rifle. I am looking for a good budget friendly factory round that i can take to the range to shoot paper/steel up to 500 yards. Something from hornady or federal. I have it zeroed with Barnes 160gr but it canbe expensive to shoot these all the time. What can you guys suggest that will be a good practice round? thank you
federal has a inexpensive hunting round that ive used in canada for moose and are called fusion

Time to start reloading. Shooting only 1 bullet out of a rifle keeps things much less confusing. Reload the bullet of your choice and the price will cut in half. O, and you'll be able to tune it to shoot better.

If you dont want to reload, HSM, Remington, Winchester and Federal, all have low price ammo options, try their different loads and see which on your rifle likes.

Best regards

LVJ76

I couldn't buy ammunition, that takes all the fun out of it. I enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting. Plus reloading saves approximately 50% of the cost of ammunition. You actually don't save money you just end up shooting twice as much.

Ya. But sometimes brass is so much $ that it pays to buy the ammo - then reload.

I jumped on a (right-hand) SS Model 7 in 7mm SAUM before researching -- and the brass and ammo are sky high.
But I'll see it thru.
I have a (left-hand) 7mm Rem Mag too.= Cheaper.

Look what these guys did.
808-yards deer shot
7mm Remington Magnum (30-seconds)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.