Goal $1000 rig

nksmfamjp

I'm hoping to get into this somewhat for about a $1000 dollars plus/minus a bit. I would like to be able to take big game out to 800 yards with practice. Right now, I'm thinking:

Savage 12BVSS in 300WSM with Accutrigger - $550
Super Sniper 10 x 42 Rear parallax adjust - $300
Ferrel base - $60
Leupold PRW rings - $50
Good Military Sling - $50
Forester Benchrest Die set - $50

Any suggestions on how to improve this without getting too far off track moneywise?

[ 01-05-2004: Message edited by: nksmfamjp ]

Get the Tactical Intervention Specialties sling from Mike Miller. The prices are about the same and you'll like it alot better than leather...

I don't know if it would be an "Improvement" but a set of Burris Signature rings would preclude the need for a tapered base and would keep your scope from ever having scratches on it since they don't mark the tubes.

I don't know which sling Chris is recomending. I have one that's elastic to some extent. I like it in conjunction with my Extendable Harris Bipod W/Swivel. If this is to be a field gun for the ranges you mention, then add $80 for the Bipod. I saw a sling position In Varmint Hunter Mag for sitting with a Bi-Pod that I find as near a bench as anything in the field. It's a little contorted, but boy is it solid.

I purchased the Ken Farrel base from Sharp Shooter Supply in Ohio. I think I paid 35 dollars.

the 12bvss, is that the plastic stock? You may not like it, it really is mush. Bell and Carlson has that durra max stock that some have really liked, less than 100 bucks I think. Good luck and tell us how it all worked out.

I had a savage 12FV in 223 but I traded it away rather than re trigger, re stock and re-do the action due to feed problems.

Thank you for the sling info. I will consider this product. It looks to be at least as good as the standard NRA loop sling, but about $10 to $15 more. Maybe that is worth it, I must think about it.

The 12 BVSS is the laminate stock. I chose it for it's natural rigidness. Is the front strong enoug to drill and set a versa pod bipod pin into it? I'm wondering if the black piece would just fall off if I did that?

Also, would you consider the Springfield Armory scope as an option?

4mesh063
I considered recommending the Burris rings, but they only make the 30mm Zee rings( to go with the Farrell bases) in extra high. That would not go well with the 40mm obj on the Tasco.
Also--I would not recommend the Springfield Armory Scope. For the same money, I would buy a 1" Leupold.

Chris,

I thought the Tasco SS was a 50mm scope?

I kinda like the scope a tick higher over the barrel for what I do. When they get too close, I get reflections in the objective and also a lot of barrel heat troubles seeing.

With all the messing around I do with my stuff, I like the rings with inserts so I don't scratch things up so much. Other than that, any rings would do.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.