Glassing oak brush during the midday hours.

bjsiillinois

Was wondering how many of you guys that elk hunt oak brush, glass during the midday hours after elk has bedded down.
I'm going to hunt a new area on a few basins that has a elevated vantage point for glassing, so I would be able to see elk moving to shadier spots during the midday as the sun moves. Haven't laid eyes on the area yet, so I'm not sure how thick the oak brush is yet, but looking at it at a arial view, there seems to be open areas in amongst the oak brush, so I may be able to see them moving some during midday. This will be during the 2nd rifle season in Colorado. From what I have gathered from people that hunted there, the elk move into these basins once the rifle season starts.
Thanks, Billy

Depends on weather a good deal. 2nd rifle usually finds most of the leaves still on. The areas I have hunted, the oak brush is usually 6-8 ft high and you never see an elk until they get up. This is where hunter pressure can be an advantage, in causing them to move. Still, it'll be very hard to get a shot. It's been my experience that most bulls seek the heavy, shaded timber. But you never know, til you try it.

Ive spent the last 12 years hunting in areas with heavy oak brush. 1st and 2nd rifle, you might as well be looking at a brick wall. 3rd gets better with leaves coming off, and it give you a better peak. I agree with Dok on his last statement. 99percent of the bulls i have seen during the daytime tend to favor the shaded timber drainages. I have seen cows bed down in the oak brush during the day time, but you typically have to track them from open areas, into the brush, then typically theyre gone from sight

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.