Glass bedding the Howa action

roper

Need some help felles you guys got any tips on bedding a Howa action It is on a bell and carlson stock with a bedding block and piller bars . yes another weatherby vanguard not shooten good enough . thanks

A howa was my first and only beading job. I would say it was pretty easy. One thing different is the howas front action screw is in the recoil lug, so i wanted bedding under the recoil lug to make sure there was a tight fit.

I pulled the trigger off and filled it with clay. and filled all the other holes with clay as well and used the included release agent.

I will say, I did not use enough to fill all the sides. The recoil lug and the rear action screw area came out good, but the rest looks like crap.

It shoot .75moa before and shoots a little better. The first group i shot after the bedding was .159. The best its ever shot. I call that a fluke or **** house luck!

My first bedding job was also a Howa. I would say to up grade the barrel before doing the bedding job since it is just a stock barrel. The only issue I had with the bedding was the rear lug that hangs down kept breaking a peice of the bedding off when pulling it out the first time. Once I figured out the problem and how to relieve the area it worked out fine. Also, upgrading to an adjustable timney trigger really finished off the project.

I sent my action to Pac-Nor barrels and they built the barrel, squared up the action/bolt and installed the barrel for me. Then I did the bedding work. I have not finished up the load developement as I have to many other gun projects, but that one is coming up on the list to start working on.

Also, if you go get the book "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" it really helped me out on getting the project completed.

SES50

Bill22.jpg

Bill12.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.