Getting my feet wet in Texas

SpeakerRob

Greetings to everyone. I'm Rob and I have to say I've stumbled across this site quite a few times in the past several weeks. I've been looking to finally try my hand at some hunting. It's a hobby I've never actually done before, but had an interest in for some time. Recently I've been pretty much spending all my spare time looking into what rifle/cartridge I'd like as first, and in my research I've used the knowledge of this particular forum many times. So, I decided to finally become a member myself.

A little bit about me:
- Fell in love with the outdoors as a kid in the Boy Scouts
- Prior active duty Army (reservist now)
- Earned my degree in medical science through the military and work civilian side now at a Trauma I hospital, and absolutely love my work!
- When I'm not outside doing outdoorsy things I'm being pretty nerdy doing computer things or getting involved in tabletop games, science stuff, etc.

I've decided to make wild boar my first hunting experience, as there is an abundance of opportunities for it in Texas (white-tail too, but hog hunting seems more my style). After a lot of reading I've narrowed down my cartridge of choice to a .308 (used to shooting it in the military, and seems to be a great all-around cartridge for just about anything in North America).

My rifle is either going to be a Thompson Venture or Wheatherby Vanguard S2 and I think it's really just going to boil down to which I like holding more, in hand. As far as my optics go, I'm leaning towards the Leopuld VX-2 2-7x33m. Eventually I'd like to nab me a Sako 85 Kodiak in .375 H&H to use for any other game I choose to hunt that my .308 wouldn't be ideal for. That laminated hardwood and stainless steel barrel on the Sako are just gorgeous, to name just a couple of its many great qualities! I think a great budget .308 and top-quality .375 H&H should pretty much have me set to shoot anything I'll ever encounter for the rest of my days.

Anyways, thanks for reading! Feel free to give any suggestions, as they are always welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.