Getting a new rangefinder which one??

nolo263

I was looking at the getting a rangefinder either a newcon 2000pro or a leica 1200 WHICH ONE DO I GET????

And no i cant wait to save money for the swaro..

If the Newcon's are as good as the latest reviews state they sound like they give Leica a run for their money.

The Leica 1200 wouldn't read a wolf (Alberta) at 600 yds on a frozen lake last week. Had to walk out there and beam back to land.

HI,

with my Newcon 2000Pro, I could range in full sunny day a cow past 900 yards (black cow), and also the post fence (3feet high) at 600yards. Easy ranging cars at 1500yard in full speed by ofhands, no support or bypod, and building 2280, and 2900 yard.

This is my baby, and till now I;m happy with it.
The best way to go is :
GO TO A LOCAL SUPPLIER AND ASK HIM TO COME WITH YOU OUTSIDE WITH THIS 2 UNIT FOR PRACTICAL TESTS. Just outside of the stor to try them.

If you see one of the unit are poor quality, design, etc then the other one is a winner.

This is how I did. Do not trust me or another guy, because the units can be like a car (good or bed unit), and the condition of testing are different, and every person have a different level of perception of his standards (good or bad)
All you can do is listen our reviews, and at list you have one ideea what you have to be aware.

Thanks
Cris

[ QUOTE ]
does anyboby have rangefinder that will go to 2000-2500 yards four hunting in any weather?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

AN/GVS-5 - 10,000 meters - I have ranged 4,000 meters in fog where visability was 100 meters.

Kinda pricy though.

I own a Leica 1200 Scan. I looked at the newer, more compact Leica 1200 and the Newcon 2000Pro at Shot Show yesterday in Orlando. From my perspective, the Leica 1200 has better glass - a clearer and brighter field of view. One thing I learned is that the Newcon doesn't have an adjustable focusing eyepiece. In spite of that, the field of view through the Newcon was pretty well focused for my eyes within the Orlando Convention Center (I have relatively good eyesight). In addition, the Leica readout is LED red, whereas the Newcon is black, meaning that the Leica readout is much easier to see in dim light. But from what I read, the Newcon will range at greater distances than the Leica. Because of the greater ranging capability of the Newcon, I'm leaning towards it. I also looked through the Swarovski, and the Swarovski glass is significantly brighter than both the Leica 1200 and the Newcon 2000Pro. The Swarovski glass is impressive. Between the Leica and the Newcon --- if you need to range past 1000-1100 yards, I'd recommend the Newcon, from what I've read of its capability on the forums. If you're happy with less than 1000 yards, then get the Leica.

Thanks guys i think i am gonna take a chance and get the newcon i will probably order it tonight.. hopefully i am not making a big mistake..

[ QUOTE ]
catshooter how much? where do you get one?

[/ QUOTE ]

About $12k - $2,000 will get you the battery charger.

My company did a project with one some years back, and the supplier never picked it up.

Technically, they abandoned it.

Watta shame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was thinking of calling them, but I lost the number.

CatShooter , I just did a quick Search and the AN/GVS-5 Price was listed at $5370 , so they must have come down quite a lot in price lately . Oh ....about the Vendor forgetting his equipment ....Mums the word ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CatShooter , I just did a quick Search and the AN/GVS-5 Price was listed at $5370 , so they must have come down quite a lot in price lately . Oh ....about the Vendor forgetting his equipment ....Mums the word ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope... that is the price (without the charger) to the military. The charger is over $2k.

The whole kit to a non military (if you can get one) is $11,900 somfin.

CatShooter , I went back & checked , and the Cost info. for the S-5 on Marines.com was dated 11/95 . So, I think you're right .

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.