Getting a new rangefinder which one??

nolo, you've got my attention and I'll be watching for any further reports - 2930 yards is impressive! The 1100-1500 meters you were ranging... was that to buildings - or trees or hill sides? What type of objects/targets? Some additional 2000 Pro information: I called Newcon yesterday and talked to their tech department and asked about waterproofness versus water resistant, since I couldn't find any information in their literature. I was told the unit is water resistant, but not waterproof. It can be used in rain, sleet, or snow, and shouldn't fog up, but it isn't rated to be dropped in water or submersed in water like some of the other units are. I was told the 2000 Pro shouldn't fog up internally going from cold to warm temps and vise versa. Newcon specs a weight of 0.42 Kilograms. If I've done my math correctly, that would be 14.8 ounces (1.2 oz less than 1 lb) So the unit is about 3.6 oz heavier than the Leica 1200 Scan. The new Leica CRF only weighs about 8-9 oz as I recall. This was additional information I was interested in so I'm sharing it now. So far none of this information would prevent me from purchasing the 2000 Pro if it will easily outrange the Leica 1200 and match or exceed the Swarovski. I've not heard or read of any Swarovski rangefinders ranging objects past ~2200 yards so far. But if I'm wrong on that, maybe a Swarovski owner will respond and provide some details on their longest distances ranged. Thanks for the additional information nolo and I'll be watching for your report from further testing should you make it out to the ranch. If you continue with the positive reports then I'll be purchasing a Newcon soon.

Paul

I was ranging fence poles and telephone poles at 1000 - 1500 meters. Buildings were easy to range. Like i said the 2930 yard reading was at a big white wharehouse and i had to use the scan range to range it. I was resting the unit on a fence and held the button down to scan and very slightly moved the unit until i got a reading I was able to do this several times pretty easy. Trees and bushes were no problem 1000 - 1500 meters. On monday I will take it to the field and range everything I can there. I will post results monday night. The reason it is not submergeable is for one the battery lid is not airtight you can see this easily. But I was using them when it was raining the windows on my truck were fogging badly and I never had a problem with the unit. It was 38 degrees and raining and I was going from inside my truck heater on to outside with no fogging of the unit. If you have any more questions please ask.

[ QUOTE ]
i have a question. would you sell me your newcon for $100? i'll even pay for the shipping!

[/ QUOTE ]

UHHHH NO!

Catshooter

I not think I would be advertising on a public forum that you are illegally in possession of an AN/GVS-5 which cannot be legally owned or possessed by any civilian in the US.

It is a class 1 laser (non eyesafe to 1100 meters). It is only supposed to be used on an approved laser range or in combat. Every mftr of a class 1 laser signed an agreement with the Federal government that they would never be sold surplus,to civilians and not even to LE.

About 3-4 yrs ago a Fed investigator came to visit me because I mentioned to a mftr rep at an expo here at Quantico, that I saw a russian laser one for sale on this site. The mftr reps watch some of the sites for this kind of info.

BH

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts