Which Rangefinder

I've had Zeiss and Leica. Both are excellent. The Zeiss beam picks up trees to the side giving a false reading. Thats why I got rid of it. I can shoot the beam of my leica threw a small opening in the trees and still get a good reading. Never could do that with the zeiss.

I have tried about all the rangefinders under $1000 and found the Leica 1600 to be the best for me. The beam seems to be smaller which makes it easier to range the deer instead a bush 30 yards closer. Mounting it to a tripod makes getting long range readings easier.

I love, love, love my Lieca optics. Binos, Spotting scopes, ect. I have had several differant range finders....Bushnell 800...good for the day, now considered junk. Leica 1200 (old box style)...loved it. Wanted more ranging, so went with the Swaro 1600. Loved it...great optics...STILL WANTED MORE!!!! Sold the Swaro and baught a Terrapin. Love it, BUT, missed having a smaller, cheaper finder for my golf bag and when i am out stalking, so I baught a used 1200 Leica scan (old box style) fairly cheap on E-Bay. I found out it didn't work, so I called Leica about warranty.....they are suppose to be a lifetime warranty...and they refused to repair it. "To old"!!! They offered me a credit on a new one, but I wasn't interested.

I just baught a NEW Swaro 1600 on sale at Cabellas....Reg 999.99, on sale for 799.99. I think that is a fantastic price considering you get GREAT optics also!!

Just my .02,

Tod

if you aren't as concerned with the angle readings, buy a good used swaro. they are awesome and I have ranged rocks in the AK mountains at 12-1400 yds reliably. was out this weekend in direct bright sunlight and had consistent readings at 1375. the finder was even pointed up in the direction of the sun and it was still reading awesome. not to mention some of the best glass money can buy. its hard when you range with the swaro then have to look thorugh even the good glass on the vortex hs-t to shoot.

Yup. The 8x30 Laser Guide is no longer available from Swarovski. I bought one when Swaro announced they were discontinuing it. It has the best optics in a monocular rangefinder.

It's also crazy accurate. I tested mine against a $16,000 Leica surveying rangefinder. It you average multiple readings, it will give better than .25 m accuracy.

Lack of an inclinometer and ballistic computer killed it on the marketplace. You might find a new one in stock with a dealer somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.