G7 BR2 VS Leica 1600-B

I have the G7 BR2 and it is always on the money. It's fairly user friendly and the customer service is outstanding. Plus they have great youtube videos on instructions.

Just FYI - they are working on it to calculate coriolis and spin drift. If that is important to you, I'd hold off. They are hoping to be able to do it via upgraded software. That would be huge for me. I'm very excited cuz I need to use a drop table at 1k yards due to these two variables.

When are they coming out with that? Will the BR2 be able to be upgraded with the new software or will there be a new model range finder coming?

I started with one of the original Bushnell RF about 16 yrs ago. About 4-5 yrs back I bit the bullet and bought the Swaro. Loved it except for the too lightly lit green read out that was difficult to read in bright light. Bought the Leica 1600 and tested it SxS with the Swaro. Sold the Swaro. Ran the Leica 1600 for about a year+ then bought the Leica 1600b and tested them SxS. Sold the 1600. Ran it for a year and tested a friend's G7 SxS and sold the 1600B. I'm in near heaven with the G7. In June I competed in a high altitude steel challenge over a two day course, shooting steel out to 1140, in the 7,000 to 8,000' elev range. The G7 was spot on every time as my confidence was not complete yet so I was double checking it against my Shooter drops. I've since ran it out to 1341 using the internal ballistic calculator with it being exactly on. I've also used it out to 1784 yds, pulling the angle, temp and baro pressure off the unit and entering the data into my Shooter program. Again, spot on. I'll be envious of you folks who wait a bit and get a model that will give coriolis and/or spin drift. Personally I could care less about MIL readouts but I know many folks who will wait for that version too.

Alan

I have been using the g7. for about 8 months now and I must say it is nothing short of amazing in its ability calculate exact calculations. for you. Now the down side, it is a little on the large side for me . When you hunt buy yourself it means you carry it if you want to use it. It is not a heavey. item but it. will. not simply slip in to a shirt or jacket pocket . I am not knocking the g7's ability in the least but after field testing it and looking at my hunting style the g7 may be sold and replaced with a 1600b. If any body is interested I have a G7 that can be bought.

When are they coming out with that? Will the BR2 be able to be upgraded with the new software or will there be a new model range finder coming?

They are still working on it and they don't know if a software change or actually installing a compass into the unit is what it will take. Hopefully software change for us existing G7 owners.

They are still working on it and they don't know if a software change or actually installing a compass into the unit is what it will take. Hopefully software change for us existing G7 owners.

Now that I think of it it would need a gps to tell the lattitude or you can select a lattitude northern or southern hemisphere and that would give you left right correction, but the east to west you would need a compass. For 1000 yards in texas coriolis really doesn't have that big of an impact.

I have a Zeiss and can range to 1400 in good conditions, and 1275 in any conditions. I went out with my friend and his G7 yesterday (and many times before) in mountainous terrain and bright daylight, and he was not able to range any further than I was with my Zeiss. I watched him put a brand new battery in it and that didn't help at all. In fact, he typically had to make many more attempts to get a reading on the same target (rocks) than I did. Our readings did match to the yard on a variety of targets, but this was all cross canyon ranging where beam divergence isn't as much of an issue.

I was with this same guy last winter and we had two coyotes standing on a snow covered field at about 800 yards for 10 minutes, and try as we might, could never get a range on them with his G7.

I was leaning heavily (i.e. reaching for my wallet) toward buying one, but the failure to range adequately has held me back. I inquired of Gunwerks whether they would agree to refund my purchase if I buy one and it doesn't range for me as advertised, which I'm taking to mean 1500 yards all day long, and 2000 yards under the best of conditions. They have apparently declined that request by responding to a portion of my email but twice ignoring that part.

So at least for now, I think I'll leave my credit card in my wallet and stick with what I have until something better comes along.

I have a Zeiss and can range to 1400 in good conditions, and 1275 in any conditions. I went out with my friend and his G7 yesterday (and many times before) in mountainous terrain and bright daylight, and he was not able to range any further than I was with my Zeiss. I watched him put a brand new battery in it and that didn't help at all. In fact, he typically had to make many more attempts to get a reading on the same target (rocks) than I did. Our readings did match to the yard on a variety of targets, but this was all cross canyon ranging where beam divergence isn't as much of an issue.

I was with this same guy last winter and we had two coyotes standing on a snow covered field at about 800 yards for 10 minutes, and try as we might, could never get a range on them with his G7.

I was leaning heavily (i.e. reaching for my wallet) toward buying one, but the failure to range adequately has held me back. I inquired of Gunwerks whether they would agree to refund my purchase if I buy one and it doesn't range for me as advertised, which I'm taking to mean 1500 yards all day long, and 2000 yards under the best of conditions. They have apparently declined that request by responding to a portion of my email but twice ignoring that part.

So at least for now, I think I'll leave my credit card in my wallet and stick with what I have until something better comes along.

Get the terrapin those yotes would have been deader that doorknob!
No muss no fuss just great ranging in all but the worst conditions.
Elmerdeer

I owned a Leica 1600 for about three months. I could not range well past about 1000 yards. Sent it back and they "worked on it" but still the same results. Finally sold it and bought the G7 and have been very happy with it. Not sure why I had the distance issues but it was very bothersome to me. Glad so many others are getting along well with theirs. Just my 2 cents....

I owned a Leica 1600 for about three months. I could not range well past about 1000 yards. Sent it back and they "worked on it" but still the same results. Finally sold it and bought the G7 and have been very happy with it. Not sure why I had the distance issues but it was very bothersome to me. Glad so many others are getting along well with theirs. Just my 2 cents....

Something is definitely wrong with it. Mine has no problem ranging whitetails out to 1300-1400 yards. Ranges confirmed with my Terrapin.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.