fur friendly 7mm rem mag load?

Ya know. The older I get. The less use I have for the 277-323 dia standard and high velocity rounds. . Not slamming anyone that likes them. But with non homogeneous bullets, they ruin a lot of meat. But on large animals the 338 and up kill better as a rule. . 338 doesn't tear up deer as bad either. But they aren't very versitile. The 223 + 243 are some of the most versitile. . The 6.5 and 25 s are versatile. .

The middle rounds are too big for the little stuff and too little for the big stuff. .

Oh well. Maybe on a broadside behind the shoulder shot it wont be bad. .

Please dont read this in a sarcastic or rude tone, it will make me look like an ***... But my hole family uses big 30's (300 winny, 300 rummy, 300 weatherby,and 30-378 weatherby, and om the only one that uses a big 7) and gets minimal meat damage every year. We simply take a lung shot and and pretty much only use nosler ballistic tips, that gets her done. And i dont see many moose or large bears (griz, brown ext, ext.) Getting taken each year by a 6.5mm let alone a 223. Im not hating on these cartriges as i own a 243 win, and a 257 roberts, but i wouldnt take either of em deer hunting if i was able to take a winny or a 7mag...

Yes, honestly I have not found a load that would not make two holes...

oh, i know... you cant get a 120-200 grain bullet going anywhere from 3800 FPS to 2500 FPS, to stop dead in its tracks on a 50 pound coyote, it just aint happening.... there is simply too much velocity going on here. If its got a long enough barrel, she can match a 220 swift in velocity. (about 30 inches) You can and will push it out of the barrel at an excess of 4000 fps with a 120 grainer.

Actually the 6.5 is a great moose round. One of the most popular in the Scandinavian countries

But American's haven't caught on to how great the 6.5 s are.

I know I'll be using my 6.5 Cm for moose this coming fall. I need to do bullet tests but the 130TSX is on the short list so far. I know guys + girls who use the 270 Win for moose .

Since Ive shot coyote with my 416 Rem mag and fox with my 9.3x64 I know that often a guy doesn't have the ideal rifle in hand when a varmint appears .
The 250 gr TSX 9.3 bullet at 2700 fps impact vel. Was a lot easier on the fur than the 350 gr Speer 416 bullet at 2500 fps impact vel. Fortunately I had broadside shots on them

Actually the 6.5 is a great moose round. One of the most popular in the Scandinavian countries

But American's haven't caught on to how great the 6.5 s are.

I know I'll be using my 6.5 Cm for moose this coming fall. I need to do bullet tests but the 130TSX is on the short list so far. I know guys + girls who use the 270 Win for moose .

Since Ive shot coyote with my 416 Rem mag and fox with my 9.3x64 I know that often a guy doesn't have the ideal rifle in hand when a varmint appears .
The 250 gr TSX 9.3 bullet at 2700 fps impact vel. Was a lot easier on the fur than the 350 gr Speer 416 bullet at 2500 fps impact vel. Fortunately I had broadside shots on them

i know the 270 is just fine for moose , but here in america, we dont like to ever use the correct cartrige for anything, its either too light or too heavy on anything (including our weight ;) ) so basicly, we use a 243 on p-dogs, and people such as my self are using guns like the 7mag, or the 300 winny on yotes, while others use a 17hmr or 22lr on em. i know guys that use 416 rigbys on elk, and deer. and i know a guy that uses a 220 swift on elk and a 22lr on deer.

Go with a partition instead of a ballistic tip. I have seen ballistic tips blow the entire rib cage out of deer on the entrance side!!!!

Slow and heavy and FMJ style might ….might save some fur. Most deer I kill with partitions have almost no hide damage. Coyotes not gonna be the same story.

Rem 700 fur friendly load

120g Sierra or ballistic tip
59-60g of IMR 4350
Rem 9 1/2
3000 fps

This drops the 7 mag down to the 25/06 levels.

Another load is with IMR 4064, but you HAVE to use a minimum of a cci 250 primer with a Fed 215 being a better choice due to a lack of case fill. We got hang fires with Reg primers but the vel at 2900 fps was great with the 120g...check an old sierra manual for the load.

Recent Posts