Fur friendly .243 bullet?

Yes, there is a fur-friendly .243 bullet.........Nozler Part. 85 grains. Even though they are expensive, they are worth every penny. Since I started using Partition Bullets on coyotes, every one has died fast with next to no damage to the fur.

mike

That's good news. Can you elaborate a little more? At distances have you taken them, how many fps is your load, and what made you try these?

I have a Dtech .243 WSSM and was going to try either the 87 grn Hornady Vmax or the 95 grn Nosler BT. The Vmax is out because from what I've read and heard, they will about cut them in half. So I was going to try the BT. Reason being, is that I want to stay away from the lighter bullets for barrel longevity.

Thanks,

The partition is fur friendly because it is not designed for explosive expansion like the V-max or other varmint bullets. Take a look at the Nosler website you and will see how the bullet is constructed. Controled expansion in front and no way it blows up.

The Barnes 80 gr TTSX is working pretty good for me in my Rem 700 243 Win. I have shot a few coyotes with my D-Tech 243 WSSM with the Barnes 85 gr TSX bullets. Both of these bullets have been leaving a small exit hole on the coyotes. The 80 gr TTSXs shot better out of my Rem 700 than the 85 gr TSXs did. I have not shot the 80 gr TTSXs through my 243 WSSM yet.

The 90gr ballistic tip also will work as a dual purpose bullet and not wreck pelts, at least in my 243 at 3000fps. I have taken coyotes from 30-800yds with it and had the same results. The 85gr Interbond & 90gr Scirocco would also be top choices for me, but my gun doesn't like them.

Platapus.....just noticed you are in Billings. I am over here in Kalispell.

Yes, I just got tired of ruining coyote pelts with my 22-250. Now I look back and see that it wasn't the caliber it was bullet construction that was to blame.

I shot two brands of bullet exclusively.....Nozler BT's and Hornady Spire Points (not the V-max). The result (most of the time) was terrible damage on coyote hides. Once shot a coyote, he was at a slight upcline from me, at 50 yards with the Hornady and actually blew the coyote right in half. Front half and back half, not a pretty picture.

Decided I needed a caliber that I could first hunt coyotes with and secondly shoot and anchor antelope & white-tails to at least 350-400 yards. Decided on the .243 with the Nozler Partitions.

Haven't shot a coyote that was over 200 yards (mostly 100-150 yds) but, the results were near perfection. Also shot an antelope last season, 14" horns at 348 yards. The Partition went through the antelope, clipped the heart and I watched it hop around like a rabbit for 30 yards before it fell over dead.

Not sure that this is a really "long-range" bullet but, I would trust it on coyotes to 600 yards and count on it for antelope to 500+.

I should say that I "trick" all brass, except neck-turn and almost always use Varget powder. This bullet travels at 3040 fps and the last 3-shot group measured .535" at 100 yards, on 1-12-10 as I prepared for the "Coyote Derby" in Melstone Mt. this last winter.

deadfoxxx

I shot a lot of coyotes with a 243 using the 60g Sierra with Win 760, best accuracy is .5g below max load for the rifle, seat the bullet out.

I did not get massive holes with this bullet, and it kills well when you hit them behind the diaphragm on moving shots.

Varget powder also works well with the 60g Sierra.

80g Bergers with a max load of IMR 4064 shot quarter size holes in coyotes up close. As the range increased, the exit hole decreased, never had a nipper or spinner with 80g Bergers.

Many benchrest bullets from 65-68g do not shoot holes through coyotes and they are not large if they do.