Fur Friendly 22-250 Options

Shot placement is of a big concern to me especially on fox and bobcats as they are thin skinned. Of the 22-250's that I have experience with they had slower twist rates, a one in 14 and a one in 10 twist rate they both however did well with the 55 grain Sierra game king boat tail hollow points with velocities running from 2600 to 2800 feet per second muzzle velocities, and barrel lengths of 22 inches. As well as shot placement the distance makes a difference in the performance of the bullets as well as a host of other conditions. As an example, with a 55-grain spire point bullet made by Speer running at 2900 mv at 50 yards it passed through a coyote and didn't expand, but out at 200 yards it did as it was supposed to and made a 22-caliber entrance hole and an inch and a half exit hole with the same loading. Sometimes speed is your friend and sometimes it isn't both in MV and twist rates. The fun part of it is experimenting to see what works for you in your circumstances.
Dave, that is very interesting.

The hornady 50 grain spsx is speed limited to 3500 fps out of a 12 twist. Works great in the 223 or slowed from.max in a 22-250. Velocity limit is less out of a faster twist. The 55 grain spsx is specifically designed for the higher speeds of the 22-250 and won'tdisentegrate even at 3900 fps in a 10 twist. The very thin jackets are why they are so explosively frangible and dont exit. That is actually what the sx stands for, super xplosive.
^^^^^^This is true.

Your asking a question very few can answer. Years ago I had a 16" pencil barrel 22-250 trying to do just what you are. There are three totally different 22-250s, a short barrel is more like a 223 and a 8-9 twist is more like a 25-06. Short answer is a pinned 14.5 pencil barreled 223 shooting Fmj or small hollow point. Your 22-250 idea will work but with more recoil, blast and powder the needed

Anyone ever use 60 grain partitions on predators. I shoot deer with them here in texas not much out there tougher than a partition in the 22 lineup?

I wanted to load some 62 grain scrirocco's after these are used up, if we can get them to shoot should be a good option as well? Not sure about how they do on varmints - just curious;

Shot a couple off the cuff with 60 grain partitions, but it was out of a stiff load in a 223 wssm. Was traveling with the combo and got invited on a spur if the moment hunt to cull some problem coyotes near where we were staying. One performed great, the other was a rushed shot and that partition broke shoulder blade and sucked it out a hole you could pass a football through.

Probably slowed down to more sane velocity, and used at a more moderate range (was a jumped coyote near a barn under 100 yards Probably under 80) the partitions would have done better.

Downside of partitions is cost, availability, and in the scheme of lrh they have abysmal b.c.

The only projectile I've had any luck with out of a 22-250 that doesn't destroy the pelt would be a 50 grain vmax. Even then it has been a hit or miss on what happens to the pelt. Had 2 dogs one night, same distance, same poi almost exactly, one had no exit and tiny entrance, one had tiny entrance and golf ball size exit or just a tad bigger. All experiences were on NE coyotes, shots usually right at the 100 yard mark but have taken some way out there with same results. I've tried so many different combinations and no matter what it was I tried I had the same results. I switched over to a 204 last year and lost 2 dogs so far with that. But I've only tried the 32 grain vmax so far, my opinion they may be a bit to small for the bigger dogs. Hoping 40 grain does the trick a bit better. I wouldn't even bother trying to save a fox pelt from a 22-250, I've split them right in half on multiple occasions. Best of luck to you!! Great caliber regardless of outcome!

Shot a couple off the cuff with 60 grain partitions, but it was out of a stiff load in a 223 wssm. Was traveling with the combo and got invited on a spur if the moment hunt to cull some problem coyotes near where we were staying. One performed great, the other was a rushed shot and that partition broke shoulder blade and sucked it out a hole you could pass a football through.

Probably slowed down to more sane velocity, and used at a more moderate range (was a jumped coyote near a barn under 100 yards Probably under 80) the partitions would have done better.

Downside of partitions is cost, availability, and in the scheme of lrh they have abysmal b.c.
that sounds like a fair assessment - not much long range hunting here in my parts so what we refer to as longer range most people chuckle at, but it's relevant to terrain i suppose! LOL Thanks for the reply it was informative for sure!

On coyotes I have had really good luck with the Speer 52 gr HP's. I have also had good results with Berger 50gr varmint bullets but it's been a few years since I shot those

I'm so surprised that no one has mentioned Barnes varmint grenades in 224 cal, I have the 50 grn and the 36 grn bullets and they load and shoot fine in my 22" barrel 223 Ruger #3.
I load the 50 grn to about 3300fps with CFE 223 and the 36 grns with RL7 for around 3700 fps.
Apparently they have a core that is compressed powdered tin or copper that does what it says on the box.
View attachment 496399
We tried them when they first came out for my boys .243s and they were abysmal. I think we got three with them, each taking multiple hits. No fur left to save.
We went to Barnes tsx for the smaller exit.

I don't remember the load anymore, but we used to use Sper 52 grain Boat-Tail Hollow-points, loaded hot. we frequently shot fox and coyote where then bullet exploded inside and had no exit. If we hit a rib or shoulder, we had a big hole. Gut shots made big exit holes. We tried to keep our shots in the chest area. The .17 rem often performed similarly, but wind was an issue at longer ranges. I have been using Hornady factory loads for about 10 years now. Big holes are OK with the low fur prices these days. No bounty on coyotes like when I was young. We mostly shoot for pest control in farmlands these days.

We tried them when they first came out for my boys .243s and they were abysmal. I think we got three with them, each taking multiple hits. No fur left to save.
We went to Barnes tsx for the smaller exit.
Agree. Tried them in 223 and 22-250 over about a 4 year period, 20 years ago. Some batches shot good others terrible. There was also a huge variation in frangibilty, even within the same box. Some exploded great, others acted like a fmj. Ended up selling a large supply of the 36 grains because of this wide performance variation. Never tried them since as there were so many superior choices.

I am putting together a new setup for night hunting and I've settled on the good old 22-250. I grabbed a Tikka T3X that is a 1:8T, and I will be chopping the barrel back to somewhere between 16 and 18 inches to run suppressed.

A newbie question,
Will a can even have any effect on the sound from a bullet that's in the 3,000 FPS velocity range?
What would the velocity be downgraded to with that short of a barrel?
No one has addressed that thus far, but it was the first thing that came to mind for me.
As far as bullets go, it seems like the consensus is that a bullet that fragments inside the body is the best choice.
Next would be a bullet that stays together and doesn't expand will make a smaller, clean exit hole.
Here in SE Michigan woods, we hear them at night, but never see them during the day.
Some farmers and horsemen say they see them a lot and they are a problem.
We see more red fox than coyotes.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am putting together a new setup for night hunting and I've settled on the good old 22-250. I grabbed a Tikka T3X that is a 1:8T, and I will be chopping the barrel back to somewhere between 16 and 18 inches to run suppressed.

Any feedback on bullets that are a little more fur friendly than what the 22-250 is generally known for? I was thinking something along the lines of a heavier barnes like the 77 lrx?

I will primarily be hunting Bobcat, fox, and coyote within 300 yards.
That twist I'm a bit jealous of considering Mines a 1-14, but I'd say those heavier bullets at the top of your range for a 1-8 would be better.....non-explosive that is. My guess is those Barnes would be good ones. Hornady makes a couple that aren't BP or HP type bullets as well, better for punching. Maybe a Berger even? Far as wts for that 1-8 I'd think your top end range would be around that 75-80gr. Ik my 1-14 twist won't shoot a 62gr barnes, heck it won't shoot the 55gr Barnes unless it's that flat based HP.
If I ever re-barreled mine it would be longer barrel with better twist, say 1-9.

I've had good luck on coyotes and a couple cats with the eld match 75-88gr bullets. They don't seem to explosive even at 22cm speeds. If you want to save fox go with 17hmr 22mag 22lr or shotgun.