Full week of long range hunting.

Punisher

My stomach is getting sick waiting for next Friday! I have got 2 days of rifle whitetail in Kansas, then antelope hunting in Wyoming, followed up by an archery mule deer tag in Kansas.

I am hoping to push my farthest kill out to 800+, but it's going to be hard with all the wind we have been having. 20-40mph of it!

I am taking 100 rounds and a coyote call. Nothing is safe!

Not quite. We have two days of antlerless whitetail season in which any legal weapon is open. And that, is this weekend.

Big Game / When to Hunt / Hunting / KDWPT - KDWPT

They call it Pre rut-whitetail antlerless only. Oct 11,12th.

If you haven't taken advantage of this, I recommend it. It's a great way to get your does in the freezer and then concentrate on your buck.

Right on! I'm only just outside of Ottawa. If you want to, send me a PM and we can shoot some time. I have been wanting to find ground to hunt down that way for a while. Since it's just on the fringe of the flint hills.

Last edited:
The toll was extreme. I hit two days of doe rifle season in Kansas and antelope in Wyoming.

The rundown is I killed 2 whitetail in Kansas. And packed a total of 15 miles with the two deer... Which was awesome. One doe dropped from a 630 yard shot to the boilermaker. I was facing east with a 3.5 mph wind from the SE. I gave it 11.5 MOA of elevation and 3/4 MOA to the right

I went out to find the doe in the long grass and noticed another doe feeding at 452 yards (nearly 1000 yards from my original position)

I laid down and took the second doe, leaving a massive wound cavity from the 180 gr Berger VLD!

Getting to Wyoming, it was awesome! I saw tons of game and finally passed up numerous animals in the 100-200 yard range hoping to see one at a decent distance, but the topography wasn't really cooperating. So I settled for a nice doe at 405 yards.

I dropped her with one shot in the heart from the top of an arête ridge (razorback ridge) and felt like the best sniper ever having gone completely unnoticed.

My friend missed the nice buck in the group and took a prone shot at him with my rifle at 711 yards and just barely missed again.

There must have been something going on in this buck's life because after running away and leaving the county, he came all of the way back looking for this doe. My buddy took him at 456 yards (his farthest kill yet.)

Enough words... Here's the pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.