Long Range Pistol Hunting

ccsykes

I know that most of the topics on this site deal with rifles, but has anyone tried any "long range" pistol hunting. As in long range, I guess we could say 300+ yards with a pistol. The reason I ask this is that I am interested in trying to shoot a deer at extended range with a new 500 S&W that I got. I put a BSA scope on it and it groups very well at 100 yards with a barnes x bullet. With this 275 grain bullet pushing just over 2000 fps, I assume that it will have enough energy at 300 yards to kill a deer. I just thought I would bring this up to see if anyone else had tried this yet.

The 500 S&W will have the trajectory of an anvil. Shot long range silhouettes for years. Even beat the rifle shooters on their 500 meter course (550 yds.)a couple of times with an XP with open sights! To shot at the "lond distances" you are talking about requires a single shot (TC, XP, etc.). They are really pifles (pistol rifles)with bottle neck cartridges for efficiency. Open sights work, but scopes are really neccessary for the distances over 200 yds. With an XP set up with light trigger and scope, it can hold MOA in the creedmore position with a good shooter behind it. Technique, follow through, etc. are very critical and requires LOTS of practice. Pistol shooting adds a new dimension to hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We have been investigating the LR potential of the SSP's for quite some time now. My XP 6.5-284 has gone to some long-ranges on coyotes-- http://www.perry-systems.com/what_others_have_to_say.htm#Steve I've just put together a 243 WSSM Striker/Leupold 4.5-14X VX III/Varmint Hunter reticle/target elevation turret. But i haven't had the opportunity to work up any loads with it yet-- soon.

There's no question that the SSP's have some interesting LR potential. A couple of partners and i are gonna be hosting a shoot this yr. in Pueblo, CO called the Specialty Handgun Outdoorsman's Tactical Seminar (SHOTS). It will be a roving silhouette course where targets are engaged at unknown ranges out to 1000 yds. Should be quite a bit of fun.

I know that the "rifle" calibers are accurate from the TC, I have shot one of these. But I am wondering about this true "pistol" round out of a S&W 8 3/8 inch revolver. You guys would be suprised at how far this baby will travel and the accuracy of it. Yeah, it does have a stout recoil, but it is manageable. I was just curious if anyone had ever tested this gun at extended range. I am not planning on shooting it 500 yards. I havent really shot it much at long distances, but those barnes pistol bullets look just like a large bore X rifle bullet.

Christopher,
The main problem with the 500 S&W is that it uses "pistol" bullets. The BC of the 275 Barnes is .183. Even pushing it at 2000 fps as you claim (I never reloaded the 500 S&W), your trajectory past 250 yds is like an anvil. Pistol was designed to stop bears, etc. It takes a rifle bullet with a good BC to shoot long range. Ran out trajectory on a Sierra program. Assuming a 200 yd zero, the following is the run out:100yds +6"(1637 energy); 200: 0"(1083); 300:-26"(749);400:-80"(579);500:-170"(481). I would question your energy past 250 yds or so. Your trajectory also is a killer. Great round for its intended purpose which is not long range shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That is what I was wondering. I do not have any ballistics programs, which i do need to get, but I have just shot it at targets at 100 yrds and it groups well. I kept seeing the bullet hit the ground a fair piece behind the target and wondered what it would do at longer ranges. I do have to admit, I would hate to be a bear on the recieving end at close range. I will try to post some pictured of what it will do to various objects. The exit hole is phenominal.

Last summer we did some testing at long range with a 338 Nawakwa (Lapua IMP) with 300g SMK. We shot at 1000 Yards and 1 Mile. Yes this was with a hand gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I will be trying the 338 Nawakwa out on some varmints this summer. I have hunted with some other specialty handguns in 375 JDJ 7-08 both have harvested deer at long range.
Crow Mag

I agree with the other guys too. As long as you want the ranges mentioned (or beyond) you will need to go to a bottleneck cartridge. Then going past 300 yards will be easy with a SP.

Well,i feel you should have bought something to do just the same with.Not a low pressure dinosaur.You have fell into a modern hole,The moral goes something like this (What is worse,2 idiots building a bridge across a dessert or 2 waiting to fish off it?)

This dinosaur was purchased for the knockdown power for deer and bear at closer ranges(out to 200 yds). Believe it or not, when loaded to the standards for the 50AE, it is a pleasure to shoot. The only rounds that are hard on the shooter seem to be anything over 350 grain. Anything smaller can be shot all day. I guess I own it for the same reason that some guys own 460s and 500NE that never go to Africa. What is the reason other than to say that you have one?

I would have to agree with the statements for shooting the
distance you want to with the 500. While training in a
gunsmith shop I heard a few of our costumers talk about
shooting the long distance with handguns with no good
results, this is with pistol rounds, so a friend of mine
wanted to try this long distant pistol shooting and he had
a XP-100 in 7mm benchrest that he wanted punched out to a
7mm magnum, but the length of the step in front of the
chamber would not alow this so we decided on a 7x57 Ackley.
The results were great, so you might consider keeping you
big bore for some of the shorter shots say around 200
or less and trying to find you an XP or get a TC to go along
with what you have and do both short range and long range.
Another firearm would not be a bad thing.

CrowMag,

[ QUOTE ]
Last summer we did some testing at long range with a 338 Nawakwa (Lapua IMP) with 300g SMK. We shot at 1000 Yards and 1 Mile. Yes this was with a hand gun

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's not too much trouble; could you post a picture of your wrists?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Still LMAO

VH

203674.jpg

Here you go cases are 220 swift and 338 Lapua IMP with 300g SMK
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.