Frustrating build

I, for one, seriously detest the 'speculation' and immdiately blaming any one component of a build when "it won't shoot". So many different variables involved here, from each and every component of the build, to the work done, to the quality of the ammo, to the 'nut behind the trigger'. The 'hear-say' just seems to run wild at times.

Last edited:
+1

I Surely don,t claim to be an expert So I like to check every component as well as I can before I start any project. If i find anything that looks out of Spec. I try to determine whats wrong and by how much before I start. I NEVER START A PROJECT UNTIL I FEEL THAT ALL COMPONENTS AR AS GOOD AS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ACCORDING TO MY METHODS/TEST. I done claim to have all the tools or knowledge to check everything, but normally I can ferret out a problem if it exist and resolve it before it gets built. If I do the work, It is my responsibility.

If I "Feel" the part is bad I call the manufacture and ask for a replacement based on my findings
and ask If he has any other ways I can verify or eliminate the problem. If they don,t want to help, I just ask for my money back if I feel they are giving me the run-around and don,t use there product
any more.

After this is done, the build begins. when it is finished, I always test the rifle before it is handed over
so that if there is a problem,I want to find it first.

If it wont shoot reasonable well with the ammo I have. I have to figure it,s my fault and don,t blame any component maker. I have rejected quite a few parts over the years and only had problems with a couple,. Most have been very eager to please and have worked with me to resolved the issues mainly because I was not trying to blame anyone, Just fix or understand the problem.

It is much easier to blame something rather than except responsibility, so don't use a bad part replace
it and you will end up with a good job every time.

If all the parts are good and all work is done correctly there should be no problems. To make an accurate rifle, Requires that The combination/sum of all parts be good. Proper ammo and the shooter have an equal effect on the total accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

I completely agree with you, we are just trying to figure out which component is causing the issue. Could be a combination of several. Including the trigger man. We have other accurate rifles that we shoot regularly so i really feel that we are doing our part correctly. That's why it's frustrating, we will figure it out eventually, just have to find root cause.

I completely agree with you, we are just trying to figure out which component is causing the issue. Could be a combination of several. Including the trigger man. We have other accurate rifles that we shoot regularly so i really feel that we are doing our part correctly. That's why it's frustrating, we will figure it out eventually, just have to find root cause.

Your Troubles Are the main reason I am anal about checking components before I start a project.

If someone ask me to fix there poor shooting rifle, I tell them that I will have to completely disassemble there rifle to go through every part one at a tjme.

I find that it saves a lot of trial and error time and makes it easier to find the/a problem, so you may have to do the same.

Good luck fixing/finding the problem.

J E CUSTOM

Well got it back from the smith for third time..he re-bedded the McMillan stock and bedded a Bell and Carlson for me. It shot a pretty good 3/4 group then started throwing them again. Tried the B&C stock same thing, three might be acceptable then a flier. I really feel now that there is something wrong with the barrel or the barrel work. It just won't shoot. I have spent a lot of dollars on bullets and powder and time. Going to take it back in the morning. I have been very meticulous with my reloading and our other rifles shoot great. I am very disappointed to say the least. The Smith is not going to be happy to see me either. I think it is new barrel time!

Well got it back from the smith for third time.. I think it is new barrel time!

I hope your gunsmith feels the same way. Only accurate rifles are fun. Inaccurate rifles are frustrating and aggravating. I wouldn't spend further time on this one.

You can do much better than this with a lot of production line factory rifles/barrels, and not a lot worse.

Yes that's how I am feeling, I could have bought a Ruger American that would shoot circles around this rifle. Hopefully he gets it fixed but I am not counting on it at this point. I really hate throwing a couple of grand up in the air and starting over.

Hope it works out! Either the gunsmith or Shilen would be IMO replacing the barrel. If not I think I would cut my loses and find another gunsmith. Plenty of great gunsmiths out there that stand by their work.
Just curious is it a SS match or a chromoly Shilen?

It's a chrome moly, we have others that are just one hole shooters. My smith is really trying to find root cause. He has t given up on me yet. Thanks for the note.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.