Very frustrated...

Crane

OK. So I just got my new 25-06AI Howa, Rock barreled action from Kevin at Montour County rifles. He straighted up the action, fitted and chambered the barrel, put on a tactical bolt knob and Duracoated it. Received my stock from Stocky's Stocks.

Now I'm no gunsmith but I have bedded several rifles and installed pillars; including Weatherby Mark V, Remington model 7 and 700 and a couple of Howa's. I'm out of bedding supplies and decided to try the kit from SCORE-HI Gunsmithing. The kit looks good and even though it deviated from my past procedure I followed the instructions to the letter. Had the laptop set up watching the DVD provided while I did it.

Now my new barreled action is stuck in my new stock and won't budge. Right now it's in the freezer. If that don't work I guess I'll be destroying my stock to get it out. I've always used Kiwi neutral polish as a release agent and without fail they all popped right out. The instructions with this kit was to apply the release agent then buff to a high shine. I knew I was in trouble when my bottom metal had to wrestled off and pieces of bedding material was adhered to it around the back action screw. The guy at SCORE-HI say's I likely shined it too much. That's was not very comforting considering that's exactly what it said to do with his super duper industrial grade release agent. If this wasn't a family friendly site I could demostrate "Typing with Torette's Syndrome" very easily.

Now I'm likely gonna be out a stock, out a bedding kit and probably have to get the action re-duracoated after I scrape off all the bedding and wood that's gonna be stuck to the expensive part. Not likely this gun will see any action this year barring a miracle.

Crane, the fear of one sticking is always on my mind. I used shoe polish for years and switched to Birchwood Casey Stock wax a few years ago. Both work just fine, but the shoe polish seemed to let go easier. I stayed with the stock wax because I think I can get it thinner and get a better metal to bedding fit. I don't polish it though, just rub and rub with my fingers until I don't see any buildup anywhere.

The freezer should work, but if it doesn't, search Nesika Chad posts. I think I remember he had a system for turning them loose that didn't involve freezing.

Good luck, Tom

I work on quite a few BR rifles that are "glued in". That means on purpose, from the get-go. I have never destroyed a stock, when removig the barreled action. Set an Iron on top of the action and turn it to "High". Patience is a virtue when doing this. When the epoxy gets to it's release temp the barreled action can be removed from the stock.

I work on quite a few BR rifles that are "glued in". That means on purpose, from the get-go. I have never destroyed a stock, when removig the barreled action. Set an Iron on top of the action and turn it to "High". Patience is a virtue when doing this. When the epoxy gets to it's release temp the barreled action can be removed from the stock.

Good advice Eddie.

Then I would suggest buying the proper Mold Release and using it instead of the other stuff. It's a bit more expensive, but you will be ahead in the long run..

The way I brake them loose is with a U shaped block of wood and a C clamp. Cut the block to fit over the receiver, and the legs of the U rest on the edges of the stock. Find a 4" C clamp grind the clamp to fit in the action. And tighten. I can post pictures latter if wanted.

Regards Mike

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Took it out of the freezer this morning, still stuck. Used Eddie's advice and went with the iron method. After moving it back and forth it was apparent the lug and rear were coming loose which gave me hope. A little more pressure and it popped out. I was elated until further examination. The front of the action and the barrel as well as the rear came out perfect except for a little bedding material stuck to the rear of the action. The lock was all down the sides of the action, cracking the stock on the opposite side of the bolt handle the length of the action relief. It pulled out chunks of wood leaving bedding material down the sides of the action and even pulled off the Duracoat in a spot.

All in all I think The HI-SCORE bedding kit is a good one except for the instructions for the included release agent. I quote from the DVD:

"After the mold release wax in applied, it should be buffed to a shine everywhere there is a bedded surface. After buffing you will be able to feel the slick and shiny surface left behind by the mold release. The mold release is an industrial grade release agent used by the manufacturing industry for departing molds on a large scale where fit and finish cannot be compromised."

Maybe I'm just trying to direct blame away from myself but I laid that stuff down on everything and buffed as directed by hand until slick and shiny. Would I use these products again? Maybe, but I'm warning everyone that buffing until shiny didn't work for me. The bedding material was a nice thick consistency easy to work with and the adjustable pillars were top notch. The guy at HI-SCORE answers the phone usually by the third ring.

So yeah I'm ****ed but what's done is done. It's not the extra money this is gonna cost as much as the time involved to get this resolved that kill's me. I was planning on fire forming 25-06's to Ackley Improved and barrel break in today. I'll clean this up as hopefully not to offend anyone but if it was raining vaginas I'd get hit with a penis. Just bad luck. They say everyone that beds rifle stocks will eventually have one stick, I guess it was my turn.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Took it out of the freezer this morning, still stuck. Used Eddie's advice and went with the iron method. After moving it back and forth it was apparent the lug and rear were coming loose which gave me hope. A little more pressure and it popped out. I was elated until further examination. The front of the action and the barrel as well as the rear came out perfect except for a little bedding material stuck to the rear of the action. The lock was all down the sides of the action, cracking the stock on the opposite side of the bolt handle the length of the action relief. It pulled out chunks of wood leaving bedding material down the sides of the action and even pulled off the Duracoat in a spot.

All in all I think The HI-SCORE bedding kit is a good one except for the instructions for the included release agent. I quote from the DVD:

"After the mold release wax in applied, it should be buffed to a shine everywhere there is a bedded surface. After buffing you will be able to feel the slick and shiny surface left behind by the mold release. The mold release is an industrial grade release agent used by the manufacturing industry for departing molds on a large scale where fit and finish cannot be compromised."

Maybe I'm just trying to direct blame away from myself but I laid that stuff down on everything and buffed as directed by hand until slick and shiny. Would I use these products again? Maybe, but I'm warning everyone that buffing until shiny didn't work for me. The bedding material was a nice thick consistency easy to work with and the adjustable pillars were top notch. The guy at HI-SCORE answers the phone usually by the third ring.

So yeah I'm ****ed but what's done is done. It's not the extra money this is gonna cost as much as the time involved to get this resolved that kill's me. I was planning on fire forming 25-06's to Ackley Improved and barrel break in today. I'll clean this up as hopefully not to offend anyone but if it was raining vaginas I'd get hit with a penis. Just bad luck. They say everyone that beds rifle stocks will eventually have one stick, I guess it was my turn.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.