Frustrating build

No fun....that really sucks. But hey, once it is all sorted out, hopefully you will have a shooter. I know with my .260 AI, I have never had as much confidence in any rifle. It's like every time I pull the trigger it sends a fur/steel seeking missile. Sub half MOA groups at 800+ yards are a truly beautiful thing.....I really hope your rifle will deliver for you once it's finally finished....

Being a 243 Win. owner and shooter and tinkering on many since 1965. There is a couple things I have seen no reference to. (1.) Have you chronographed your rifle when shooting? I have seen 243's that love certain primers. Cleaned a bad full channel glass bedding out and left good action bedding in a 243 Win. The guy said it shot less than 1" groups before the bad bedding. I used CCI standard primers in a load the gun shot 1 1/4 " at 100 yds. I changed to Remington standard primers. Urica, A dime covered 5 shots at 100yds.

(2.) A weak firing pin spring can cause the best rifle to go FLOP. Any sheared sharp edge on the firing pin crater edge is a sure sign. And easy to check with use of a scale.

(3.) What type die are you using full length, neck size?
I have seen 243 that would did not like anything but neck sizing, Shot factory ammo like buckshot.

If it is a bad barrel this may be the only cure, "Replace It". Good Luck in your quest.

That's some great info you have shared, I had never heard of .243 's being so finicky. I have tried all sorts of primers with no real difference, I have not chronographed it though. Have only full length resized. Should get it back this week to try again. THanks for your help. What powder have you found works best??

Ceder

Aye yia yia! 5 months and counting...

A new barrel must seem inexpensive at this point - after 5 months of load testing and disgust.

Well I should have posted before now and I apologize for that. Bottom line took the rifle to different smith and he was quite surprised at how bad the rifle was built. I paid for blue printing, it was not square, crown did not look good to him,bolt would fall shut on no go guage. I had him recut chamber,recut crown and bed it in a new HS Precision thumb hole stock. The rifle is a solid under moa shooter now. It shoots 105 Berger hybrids under 3/4 and 85 Sierras a little better than that. I am pretty happy with it now but I have a pretty expensive .243.

Ceder

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.