Frontier/Hornady Brass JUNK???

dlebeck

Well I don't know if I am just unlucky or if the brass that Hornady is using, Frontier head stamp is junk. But I am having tons of problems with at least the 300win mag brass. Can't get a batch of brass with a consistent neck thickness, the cases are short in my opion and I guess I just am not sure. I have used this same brand of brass in 30 06 and 7mm08 and have not noticed these problems. What if any is your experince with this brass. I guess I will have to spend the BIG BUCKs and buy Lapua.

Doug

Oh ya, case neck and loaded round run out is horific. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have the same exact scenario. Frontier Brass sucks for sure in 300 WM. I had every single case fail after 3 firings with 0.002" bump. Brass is definately not worth messing with. I also had some, roughly 35%, fail in .270 WW cases with not only casehead separation, but I had some separate about a cm ahead of the rim. I would rather use Berdan primed cases, drill them out and do all that than mess with Frontier/Hornady brass. I am not bitter, the brass just sucks.

I'd pretty much agree, you're "polishing a turd" messing with some of the lower quality brass.

Ok, so tell me how you really feel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So, do you guys know anybody that wants a good deal on a ton of Frontier Brass??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Doug

sewwhat89,
I had the same problem with the WW brass in .270. Started to separate. I thought I had something wrong with the chamber in my gun, then when I changed brass this problem was solved.

I bought some of their match grade brass for 300 wby cause it was pretty cheap compared to real wby brass. It loaded up beautiful. Very little runnout with virtually no case prep and every bullet felt like it seated with the same tension. I was very happy. Then I went to the range and found out that even mild loads of say 3200 fps w/180 grain bullets was ruining the primer pockets. They got loose faster than anything I'd ever seen. I called them and the guy said I must be way over pressure. I said same chrono same speed with other brass and many reloads without primer pocket failure. I had a couple of boxes of that brass (brand new on my shelf) with different lot numbers but no matter what lot number I used the primer pockets went to heck in a load or two. Guess I'm done with it too!!

I was hoping it was an isolated incident, but I attempted to reload some spent 7mm RM and couldn't get the bolt to close to save my life. I thought maybe I didn't bump the shoulder enough and drove it back to to .0065" and still couldn't close the bolt. The old w-w, r-p, and other head stamps all cycled flawlessly with only .002" bump. After the third casing with this issue, I am scrapping every one I find.