Hornady brass?

rafterfp

I'm At the end of my Norma brass life for the 300wm. Seeking opinions from those of you that have used Hornady brass, I shoot their factory 6.5 CM ammo and that stuff is STUPID accurate out of my ScoreHigh CM. Was thinking why not try it for the 300? Thougts?

Don't know what others experience may be. I tried Hornady brass in my 300 wm but it showed pressure signs so much sooner than Norma with H1000, that I gave up and the Hornady brass now sits on the shelf while I continue to shoot the Norma. No signs yet my Norma brass is out living its life, but if it did, I would buy more Norma and pay the extra.

Others seem to like other brands of brass so I'm sure you will get different opinions.

I found mine to shoot really well once it's given proper prep.. bran-new though, the flasholes are burred and very uneven. Afterward it'll shoot spreads as consistent as anything.

Just like already said though, Hornady has a lower case-volume than most, (& in my experience) less than Lapua, Nosler or Norma brass does, so pressure does come quicker. It doesn't at all mean the brass is no good or won't achieve the desired velocity you may be making in your Norma brass, it's just going to make that velocity at a slightly different powder charge...
I'd load single, half-grain charges in the Hornady up to whatever your "old" load was in the Norma brass, then shoot them one by one over a chronograph til you see where exactly your desired velocity is (in the Hornady stuff..) Then a half dozen or so more at the charge you see matches the velocity you want afterward to verify it... betcha 12/15 shots and you're back in business on the new Brass. I haven't shot mine enough to wear it out or see any fail yet, am only on load #3 right now but so far so good

I use Hornady in my 300 WM. Didn't have to get close to max loads so pressure wasn't an issue for me.

I'm by no means an experienced reloader, but I began reloading using Hornady brass and for me it seemed to show signs of excessive pressure after 1 or 2 reloads. I did try reducing the loads, it didn't seem to help. I started using Norma brass and from my perspective the Norma will last a lot longer.

I'm by no means an experienced reloader, but I began reloading using Hornady brass and for me it seemed to show signs of excessive pressure after 1 or 2 reloads. I did try reducing the loads, it didn't seem to help. I started using Norma brass and from my perspective the Norma will last a lot longer.

Hmm, how did # of reloads affect your pressure?

I culled all the Hornady head stamped .220 swift brass I had after reloading some of them once. I ran them hot, but not blowing primers hot. The necks were so thin after sizing and trimming I could push the bullet into the case with my fingers. Granted they were bought as loaded ammo, shot once, reloaded and shot again before this happened but it was consistent with almost all of the ones I tried to reload a second time so I tossed all of them in the recycle bucket.

The frontier head stamped brass from Hornady holds up very well, 7-8 reloads and still no problems. I have had to get rid of a few here and there but overall I like the frontier stuff.

I'm not sure exactly how to respond except that after 1 or 2 reloading cycles, the Hornady cases started showing signs of excess pressure. After I actually had a case separate, I discarded all the brass that I had used, and changed the way I resized the cases. I assumed that the pressure indicators were due to my error. Starting again with new cases and a lower powder charge, I still was getting that little ring around the base of the cartridge. I wasn't comfortable with that so I switched to Norma and have been more satisfied with their performance.

Has anyone tried changing primers for reduced pressure and or accuracy? Try loading 3 groups of ur pet load with 3 different primers and just see if it helps! I was shocked to find out that one of my loads with h 1000 and fed 210 was more accurate than exact same powder charge and 215 mag primer. might be worth trying

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.