Junk Brass???

I had a "benchrester" tell me that rem brass is junk, and that he would muzzle load before he would use their brass. Question is what other options are there win or rem????

i shoot rem brass in my .243 and i love it, cheap and i've gotten about 8 firings out of one group of it still going good, just been neck sizing, it is a more mild load but its great! i have no issues with it. im sure he's rly picky tho...

Warren

There is nothing wrong with the remingtion brass compaired to other factory brass!!!

In fact I have found it to be better than most.

I weight sort all of my brass and find it to be very consistant for the price.

This is the order of brass quality in my opinion. (price not with standing).

These prices are based on 30/06 brass !!

DWM=price ?
Lapua=$100.oo per 100
Norma=$73.oo per 100
Weatherby (Also made buy Norma)=$250.oo per 100
Remingtion=$35.oo per 100
Hornady= price ?
Winchester=$37.oo per 100
Federal=Price ?
Nosler (Also made by federal)=$75.00 per 100

I feel that Remingtion brass is the best buy, but there is better brass for a price.

This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM

J.E.,

This thread seems like dja-vue all over again...........

In every case I'd pick Winchester over Remmy just due to the increased powder capacity. If I put my Win loads in Rem brass they are sticky to extract. In the 270 Win 20 reloads isn't uncommon.

Also I'd give about anything for decent (non Rem) brass for my Allen Mag.

DWM......?????

If you can get more pressure with less powder in lower capacity (volume) brass, doesn't that make it the better bargain?

If you can get more pressure with less powder in lower capacity (volume) brass, doesn't that make it the better bargain?

Not if the brass is softer, thus less shots each before they got to the brass bucket. I change when I seat primers with my thumb and they remain seated as they will fall out after that shot.

That was before LRH.

Taking things to the extreme if I get 5 shots per case I'm satisfied. Considering that now all shots are at game, it takes years to go through 50 cases.

I had a "benchrester" tell me that rem brass is junk, and that he would muzzle load before he would use their brass. Question is what other options are there win or rem????

I use Rem, Win, and Norma. Quality varies, but I find it all is useable and get at least 5 loadings from all.

The "benchrester" is suffering from a terminal case of elitist bologna. Put new Rem brass on a table and mark it, "free, take as much as you want". Bet them little grubby fingers will be grabbing it up.

J.E.,

This thread seems like dja-vue all over again...........

In every case I'd pick Winchester over Remmy just due to the increased powder capacity. If I put my Win loads in Rem brass they are sticky to extract. In the 270 Win 20 reloads isn't uncommon.

Also I'd give about anything for decent (non Rem) brass for my Allen Mag.

DWM......?????

Roy

Your right ,it is one of the questions that keep comming up but like all questions
it should be addressed to help the man out.

My experance has been just the opposite of yours with the winchester brass in a hard
loaded 7 rem mag.

I could get 1 firing out of the winchester and the primer pocket would be loose.

The remingtion would go 2 or 3 times before the pockets would be loose.

DWM was the toughest and would make it to 5 or 6 rounds.

I don't load over max loads any more and the remingtion brass serves me well.

My brother likes the winchester brass like you but I find that when I weight sort
it I end up with 5 or 6 piles of brass ,with the remingtion I will normally have 2 and
4 or 5 that don't fit in any weight group (I use these for dummy rounds for my die
set up with different bullets).

So what ever works best for the reloader and his rifle is best for him.

I really like nosler products but have been very disappointed in there brass. At more
than twice the price it should be a lot better.

Just because a benchrest shooter says it,s good or bad doesent mean it is (good
or bad) it,s just his opinion and we all have one based on our experiences.

J E CUSTOM

in my opinion, yep!

When I load both WW and Rem to the same pressures, in non magnum carts. primer pockets in the Rems always loosen sooner.

Some experience is with the RSI pressure measurement system.

JE--

"DWM" brass? Could you expand on this? Looks like another German brand like RWS?

I think J.E. meant RWS as the last time this was discussed I believe we both put DWM at the bottom of the barrel. I haven't seen any DWM in decades, and that's a good thing.

I think J.E. meant RWS as the last time this was discussed I believe we both put DWM at the bottom of the barrel. I haven't seen any DWM in decades, and that's a good thing.

Roy it was DWM (Deutsche Waffen Munition Fabriken) and it was the toughest brass
I ever saw/used but I had to anneal the necks ever 2 or 3 firings.

It is no longer made but I have came across some of it from time to time. (blue plastic
box with a white paper label.

Just wanted to let you know I hadn,t gone senile yet. Ha Ha.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.