Forster Bench rest Ultra or Redding Competition seating die

jmason

Has anyone had problems with the tips of VLD bullets hitting the top of the die before the ogive with the Forster Bench rest Ultra dies? I was trying to compare the Redding Competition seating die to the Forster Bench rest Ultra. The Forster instructions do mention that it may require a "custom" seating stem for some bullets. The redding die picture appears to show a deeper hole in the stem. The only other major difference I noticed was price.

I'm trying to decide which to get as I just started measuring runout and I'm good up to the point I seat with my current die. I know that one problem with the current die is the VLD type bullet tips are bottoming in the stem before there is ogive contact. I have read of people modifying their dies with drill presses, etc. but that's not a good option for me.

Last edited:
If you contact any of the companies and tell them which bullet(s) you are loading, they can tell you about the stems they have available. You may be able to get another stem for your current die, although you seem to want a micrometer seater.

I have the same problem in a .308 Winchester Forster Ultra seating die. I contacted Forster and they told me they are always updating there seating stem and that it will usually cover about 95% of the bullets out there. That may be great if you got a brand new one that has been reconfigured. You can get the new seating stem from Forster for about $8 from them. Hopefully that new die I got for 6BR will cover that.

I have had this problem with alot of the LEE, Lyman, and RCBS seeting dies. I was told I need to drill them out. I have been seating the Whinchester balistic silver tips, A-MAX, and the SST from Horndy for a 3006. I guess I need to do some calling around because none of the standard stems seat on the bullet sholder. I suspected it may cause some runout but I have not measures this at this time. I still get very good consistant seating depth but I have questions this myself.

jmason for what its worth the Hornady seating dies with the optional micro adjust works very well and you'll never have a problem with VLD bullets. Plus they are very inexpensive by comparison.

jmason,

I had the same problem when I started loading Bergers. I use Forester dies. I sent them Berger bullets in 7mm, and 308 cal and they sent me correct seating stems, $8.00/ each if I remember correctly.

Th elong-nosed Bergers tend to pose problems for everyone's dies. I sent mine in and REdding made me some custom seating tubes for them. At the time Redding made a bunch of seating tubes in case others were having problems, you need to call customer SErvice and ask for Patrick he was one that I dealt with.

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts