Redding Competition Seating Die

smokeumm

This might be a dumb question, so here it goes. I'm looking to achieve less bullet run out, I heard the Redding Competition Seating Die is the die to get! Since I neck size my brass only can this die work? Or does a person have to full length size the brass so it fits in the die?

Last edited:
It's been my experience that if one uses full length sizing dies without expander balls whose neck's a couple thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter, most any seating die will seat bullets very straight. And full length sizing dies also center case necks better on case shoulders, too. Neck only sizing dies don't hold the fired case shoulder concentric with the neck when the neck's being sized down.

Most benchresters gave up on neck only sizing a few years ago and now use full length sizing dies with neck bushings 1 or 2 thousandths smaller than case necks. Their smallest groups are still the same size, but their largest ones shrank by 30% to 40%; average group sizes in aggregates got smaller. It's a lot like deciding if you want your stuff to shoot from 1 to 6 units of measure (units are 1/10th inch, 1 inch or whatever) or 1 to 4 as to whether or not you want to properly full length size you fired cases if you're neck only sizing now.

Redding's web site has an article on seating dies and concentricity problems:

Concentricity Problems | Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.