Redding Competition Seating Die Question / Issue

fnlights

For those of you with the Redding Competition Seating Die - is there any reason why the die is not seating the bullet completely on the first press with the ram?

I am reloading for my 30 N and it has the SAAMI throat - so the bullets are seated at 2.687 CBTO - .010 off lands. With seating this deep, the micro adjustment above is just about screwed all the way in.

The first time I lower my ram completely the length will be around 2.7++ CBTO - then without changing anything I will lower the ram again and it will measure to the 2.687. Is there something wrong with the die that it is not seating correctly the first time? I have never seen this before

Any thoughts or tips are appreciated!

What bullet? What's the COAL? Does your die have the VLD seating stem? I've seen the standard stem slightly seize the bullet and partially pull it back upon the upstroke on high BC bullets. Usually, can feel this and hear this (stem return spring clicks).
Another suggestion to get more out of your cartridge would be to have a GS throat your chamber longer. Just make sure their throat reamer has the correct lead for high BC bullets.
Lastly, I've never tried this but, the SA dies use the longer (0.188" longer) stem. That should bring your die up in your press. CBTO of 2.687 looks to be about right w/ 180E Berger though.

Attachments

• Redding_Competition_Bullet_Seater_Stems__Parts.pdf
    219.4 KB · Views: 117
What bullet? What's the COAL? Does your die have the VLD seating stem? I've seen the standard stem slightly seize the bullet and partially pull it back upon the upstroke on high BC bullets. Usually, can feel this and hear this (stem return spring clicks).
Another suggestion to get more out of your cartridge would be to have a GS throat your chamber longer. Just make sure their throat reamer has the correct lead for high BC bullets.
Lastly, I've never tried this but, the SA dies use the longer (0.188" longer) stem. That should bring your die up in your press. CBTO of 2.687 looks to be about right w/ 180E Berger though.
Berger 215 and yes it has the VLD seating stem.

I think my issues might be what you are describing I do feel something with the spring and I do hear something click.

If I already have the VLD seating stem in, what else can I do? I mean I guess they could have sent me the wrong seating stem lol maybe I don't actually have it in? I might take my die apart again and put the original stem in and try it.

Could be your stem fitting the bullet, but more likely it's your adjustment of the die in the press.
How else could I adjust this in the press to prevent this? I followed the Redding instructions on installing a seating die. I screwed it down into the press until the die body made contact with the shell holder and then very slightly backed it off so there was no pressure on the die body like redding recommended

As mentioned already, check for a compressed load. Redding seating stems don't like compressed loads, as the High Power guys found out in the 90's. Last I checked Redding does not honor a warranty for damages to the stem/seaters due to compressing of the powder during seating.

1. Polish inside of seating stem with your desired bullet and some lapping compound
2.Seat your bullet on an empty case and observe if the problem disappears
3. Coat the ogive of the bullet lightly with case lube which will allow an easier release from the seating stem.

How else could I adjust this in the press to prevent this? I followed the Redding instructions on installing a seating die. I screwed it down into the press until the die body made contact with the shell holder and then very slightly backed it off so there was no pressure on the die body like redding recommended
Don't screw it down to the shell holder

As mentioned already, check for a compressed load. Redding seating stems don't like compressed loads, as the High Power guys found out in the 90's. Last I checked Redding does not honor a warranty for damages to the stem/seaters due to compressing of the powder during seating.
I do not believe the load is compressed because I can shake the loaded case and hear powder moving around

my Theory is
have you checked your neck tension as it could be spring back and when you re seat it again it sends the bullet back further

I've run into this issue with Redding, Forster and non-bench rest seating dies. Compressed powder charges are number #1 cause of having to double seat bullets; and this is a guess but I've seen it happen - I think there could be an issue of compressed air in the case that resists seating the bullet all the way. I've noticed this in my 270 Winchester and 220 Swift which are not compressed powder loads. The case neck tension is right at .0025" so perhaps it might be too tight, but I get great accuracy and single digit SDs. My technique is to seat bullets in all the cases, then go back and seat again and I get very consistent CBTO measurements.

If you're leaving the anneal line on your brass, this can certainly do it. Polish off the anneal line, chamfer the case and problem most likely goes away. I dealt with this a couple years ago, and after talking with ADG and Redding, we determined it was the residue left behind on the anneal line. Now all our brass we order is Bright from ADG.
As others said, compressed power can do it too, but you stated its loose. With the sticky anneal line, the effects are basically the same.