For your viewing pleasure here’s the 137 Hammer Hunter out of a 300 RUM

I've been following several forum discussions on hammer bullets. It is my understanding that running substantially smaller weights of monolithic bullets,ie hammers, that penetration isn't an issue and the increased muzzle velocity negates the lower bc, but increases hydrostatic shock. Am I understanding this correctly?

You actually asked several questions.
First, most find a lighter weight bullet than traditional gives excellent penetration and does substantial internal damage. Adding velocity improves them even more.
Adding velocity has a very slight beneficial affect on BC - but it does not substantially affect BC.
The Hammer bullets are quite unique, in that they are designed to shed their petals immediately after impact. This serves 2 purposes. The bullet shedding petals creates a massive and lethal large wound cavity (bubble). The shed petals become individual missles doing their own independent damage as they travel forward.
Once the petals are shed, the shank becomes a "wadcutter" shaped blunt solid that penetrates very well, straight and deep.
Does that help?

137 HH out of the RUM courtesy of Fordy, he has has all of the necessary permits for the drone footage to be captured, he is unsure of the speed as he was on a hurry to test these out but an estimate is 3850 plus, will verify as he has more time.
This guy is unreal,

man I'd love to get drone footage of our moose kills, BUT highly illegal in Alaska ... didn't even have a chance, just as drones became available/affordable some morons decided to petition the Dept of Fur & Feathers to immediately ban them for hunting use .... Some peoples kids just love to have that .Gov boot on their necks

I've been following several forum discussions on hammer bullets. It is my understanding that running substantially smaller weights of monolithic bullets,ie hammers, that penetration isn't an issue and the increased muzzle velocity negates the lower bc, but increases hydrostatic shock. Am I understanding this correctly?
I would say it a bit different is, terminal velocity is what I think most of us consider.

Some such as @GLTaylor @ButterBean @fordy, and others, are in some cases using combinations that have more terminal velocity, than some yield at the muzzle.

Recent Posts