For those that may not have seen my (Wy Winter kill post). Here's an article I read last night.

And all they would have to do is put some hay bails out to help with the problem but they say they can't interfere with Mother Nature. And then they will complain about how bad of shape the big game are for the next ten years.
Sure dosnt stop them from feeding the elk up in Jackson.

Similar results here in Manitoba the last number of years. Losses of 50-60% of the deer herd. After last years winter I'm barely seeing any deer around my area. Where last winter I'd see herds of up to 300 whitetail on a single field. This year the most I've seen on a field is 25. No tracks in the snow anywhere. Very sad.

And all they would have to do is put some hay bails out to help with the problem but they say they can't interfere with Mother Nature. And then they will complain about how bad of shape the big game are for the next ten years.
As much as this sounds like a good plan, you have to take into consideration the costs in feed and labor to distribute. Not feasible for a State budget. Especially Wyoming.

They should just send High School kids out in pickup trucks and snowmobiles, toss out some hay bales or grain, wherever they think would help the animals survive. They'd probably get quite a few donations of hay and gas money. Have seen the difference 25lb bag of sunflower seeds can do for dozen deer in deep snow year.

Well their budget is gonna get smaller and smaller every year if they can't keep animals alive and get people to come hunt. I would be happy to donate to keep the herd alive and well.
Hell even add a couple bucks to the license fees just for things like this.

Yep, local breakfast Cafe with a jar. Everytime it gets enuff money for 10 bales and a bag a corn, deliver it near the wildlife. The birds find it first and other wildlife follows em in.

Could be so but, always try to help out wildlife at or near areas where ya can, makes a difference.

Last edited:
3 horses can go thru a 1 ton bale of hay in a month with restricted eating...
What's anyone going to do for thousands of elk and deer......especially when they are battling 30 feet of snow and frozen snow packs......there's nothing out there to protect them from the enviroments....

If you're a hungry deer and you get 2lb of sunflower seeds, you'll live another day! Didn't know they were tryN to save the wild horses too.

Last edited:
In Jackson, they make enuff off the visitors buying coffee and hot chocolate to buy all the hay Elk can eat.