For the gunsmiths: 240 Weatherby question

8x68s

Does the SAAMI version of the 240 have the long throat leade such as the other venturi shaped Weatherby cartridges? I'm hoping it does so I can hang those heavy and long-for-caliber bullets out there where they need to be.
Thanks for your responses!

No it doesn't. It is the only case that does not have the long throat.
Weatherby list it as .169".

Cheers.
The .224 WBTY and 6.5 WBTY RPM are keeping the .240 WBTY company ...
Weatherby free bore.JPG

Last edited:
thanks for the info, Gents!! Does this mean I should look to throating a little longer for the 110's, 112's and 115's that I will prefer to shoot??

Just a thought. The 90 grain Sierra game changer boasts a .480 bc. Not as high as the 115s but not as far behind as one might think and it's gonna start out a lot faster. Arguably makes more sense. No worries about how long it sticks out. Good terminal performance.
Speed kills! I use a 90 gr bullet in mine, with excellent results.

The freebore that the saami 240 weatherby has is pretty good for long heavies 105-110gr. You've got to consider that the neck is pretty long on the 240wby also. That gives you some margin to seat long enough to touch the lands, while having room to back off of the lands and still be above the neck/shoulder junction. I considered a fast twist 240 wby for a while. I think saami freebore would be fine. I went with a 6mm PRC cause I ended up getting a deal on a short action magnum bolt face action. I still think I would like to have a fast twist 240 Wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts