question for gunsmith

shootinfool

I had a guy tell me that it was illegal to build an .300 ultra mag in a different action than a rem 700 unless you form your own brass and stamp it something different because remington has a patent on the ultra mags, is this true? It sounds like crap to me because i know that there are folks making these .338-.300 ultra or what ever it is and if this is true then this would be against the law if they used the .300 ultra case to use unless they stamped it differentlly.
progress.gif

Rem Ultra Mags

I sure hope not. I've built several for 1000 yd. shooters and also for Hunters.
I think his mistake was confusing the Rem Ultra Mags with the Win. WSM line of cartridges. I heard the Rick Jamison sued, and won, his case against Winchester using his case design on the WSM's.

No, this individual is not a smith. The situation was, I was talking about the 338's and how I would like to get one of these guns and the guy I was talking to told me that the 338 lupa or edge, one of the .338's, is a 300 ultra casing with a 338 bullet, and this not so bright individual jumped in and said that it was not the case because remington has a patent on the .300 ultra casing and unless you use it in a remington action, or made your own casings and had them stamped something other than .300 remington ultra mag, then it is against the law. He has bought a .300 from christianson arms, and has another 7 mm ultra that he is going to pick up from them in two weeks. He said that he got this info from them when they were discussing what he wanted in a custom gun. he said that they would only use the rem 700 action for legal issues(the reason stated before) when building the .300 ultra. It sounded like a load of crap to me and I called him out on it but I really do not know either if it is true or not, hence the question here. Thanks for the responces though, I really do appreciate it.

This fella is poorly informed , making for the perfect example for the statement
"its better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Also
" Don't argue with ignorant people , they will wear you down and beat you up with experiance"

If this were the case then what about all the other companies that chamber guns for the RUM ? or what about Remington chambering their guns for Winchester named rounds? like the 243? and 270?

Just nod and agree like you do with your wife then say a little prayer for them as they walk away content thinking they "learned you sommin"

There may be a reason for the misunderstanding,

A year or two ago, there was a big outrage over the fact that a gun rag writer had patented the design of the "300 Winchester Short Magnum". Some felt that it contributed to the downfall of Winchester firearms manufacturing in the US. There were court actions and payments from a gun manufacturer to the magazine writer. Many people felt that the manufacturer should have resisted more strongly in the court system.
The whole thing was ridiculous but that happens with patents, I guess. The 300 Ultra Mag is so close to the 300 Black Mesa, 300 Dakota or 300 Imperial (300 Canadian) and my own 30-404 Jeffrey Imp. that you couldn't tell the difference without looking at the headstamp or using a caliper.
I've heard of no court action from any of the above ammo manufacturers or cartridge developers.

I would have thought that Christensen would have known its not against the "Law", I think they just wanted to sell the guy a Remington action.

I thought the same. I don't think that the guys from christiansen arms even told him this. They would be stupid to use their reputation in such a way. I did argue with him at first, but the saying that james jones wrote is exactly true, he did wear me down and I gave in and just nodded. I felt like sending him the link to this discussion, but I don't think there is any room in this place for people as ignorant as he is. Thanks for the replys though.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.