For long range hunting only! We don’t discuss match components!

I am so far behind you guys, I'm still using H4831 ( or 4831 SC ) in My 270 Weatherby Mag with 150 Grn ABLR's, and 67.2 grns of IMR 4350 In the 270 Weatherby Mag with 130 Grn Ballistic tips for 3300 fps from the 26 inch Barrel hunting Mule deer /Antelope in Wyoming . In my Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win with 130 grn Ballistic tips, I still use 59.5 grns of H 4831( or SC ) for 3050 fps form the 24 inch barrel, in the hills of West Virginia That's my whitetail deer load. Never changing that !!! I also still use H 4831 in my 300 Weatherby Mag with 180 Grn Bullets. I guess I should join the 21st century and upgrade to H1000 for the 300 Mag !!! Thanks Guys!!!
Retumbo and IMR 8133 also work great in the 300 Weath Mag for the heavier Bullets along with H1000

Your lot of 8133 sure is a different burn rate than the two pounds I grabbed over a year ago now. Not challenging your claim either, just legit surprised and feeling a tad nervous about buying more of the stuff if it's this wildly different from batch to batch. Thanks for the heads up.
Same here I bought two 8lb kegs and same issue with both

Ag
I agree. I loaded RL-25 for my 300 RUM to great effect, until RL-26 came along, and then RL-33 (unobtanium). I take care to develop loads in early spring or fall, when temps are around 40 degrees, so they're in the middle of the range I hunt (in the Rockies). I avoid hot loads, so if it's an unusually warm day when I'm out hunting my rifle won't explode. Temp sensitivity doesn't affect my hunting too much that way, and RL-25 works real well. Likewise RL-22, which in my experience usually yields a bit more speed than (the less temp sensitive) RL-23 in the 264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag. I think handling a wide range of temps without performance variation is simply asking too much of the chemistry. Just load to the middle of an intended temp range, and avoid real hot loads so you have a safety buffer.
Agreed. I'm in Saskatchewan so I know about the big temperature difference between prime load development season and actual hunting season. Typically around +20 c when loading and shooting and around -10 to -25 c when deer hunting. The swings could be more too, I actually wish I had had more time to put the claims of those enduron powders to the test! Hottest we saw this summer was +38c/100f, coldest over the winter was -35c/-31f (with a windchill factor of -43). In the name of science I absolutely AM a sucker for punishment and perhaps next year if we get days in these ranges I'll go shooting haha, see how much things change. No idea how a battery powered chronograph will cope with that kind of cold though, coldest I've taken it out is around -20c or so.

learned about Rl22 the hard way, far and away the most temp sensitive powder I've worked with. A perfectly save November load froze up the .270s bolt in June.

Ag

Agreed. I'm in Saskatchewan so I know about the big temperature difference between prime load development season and actual hunting season. Typically around +20 c when loading and shooting and around -10 to -25 c when deer hunting. The swings could be more too, I actually wish I had had more time to put the claims of those enduron powders to the test! Hottest we saw this summer was +38c/100f, coldest over the winter was -35c/-31f (with a windchill factor of -43). In the name of science I absolutely AM a sucker for punishment and perhaps next year if we get days in these ranges I'll go shooting haha, see how much things change. No idea how a battery powered chronograph will cope with that kind of cold though, coldest I've taken it out is around -20c or so.

learned about Rl22 the hard way, far and away the most temp sensitive powder I've worked with. A perfectly save November load froze up the .270s bolt in June.
That is the prime reason I try to stay with Hodgdon extreme or IMR Enduron powders they are much less temperature sensitive

Thanks I will try those . I would guess everyone still lights those very slow powders up with Federal 215 M primers??? When available!!!

Thanks I will try those . I would guess everyone still lights those very slow powders up with Federal 215 M primers??? When available!!!
That's what I use but it's certainly not absolutely necessary: fun fact, federal developed their 215 primer in conjunction with weatherby's development of their .378 magnum cartridge in 1953. Before this there were no "magnum" or "standard" primers. There were just primers. So cartridges like the .375 hh, .300hh, 257, 300, and 270 wby, even 416 rigby, 404 Jeffrey, and 505 Gibbs, all traditionally loaded with "non-magnum" primers and no problems from that!

that being said, they didn't have as slow burning powders then as now. And if hunting in cold weather the magnum primer "ignition insurance" is a real benefit, ESPECIALLY with big charges of ball powder.

Sounds Like 7828 and RL 25 is on the shopping list. I will check Midway and Brownells. Never heard of GM 215 Primers. What brand is that ??? Thanks

Yes, I don't have any more of those, Just the regular Federal 215. Looking forward to picking up a brick of those !!! Im going to search for some right now

Anyone use Retumbo in 338 win mag or 300 wsm? Have never seen any published charges but have for 7 mm rem mag and even 25-06. I am using RL 19 with 225 gr in 338 win mag , 78 grs, just wondering how Retumbo would compare.
Don't have 300WSM, but IMO the 338 WM is not overbore enough to go with powder as slow as H1K or Retumbo.
I have a ladder test of 225gr Nosler E-Tips over RL22 waiting to go but it has not been a priority in my shooting rotation.
Of my powders, PowerPro 4000 or VV N165 would be the slowest I'd try, even if shooting 250's.

@jshepherd61 , what's your general location?

Don't have 300WSM, but IMO the 338 WM is not overbore enough to go with powder as slow as H1K or Retumbo.
I have a ladder test of 225gr Nosler E-Tips over RL22 waiting to go but it has not been a priority in my shooting rotation.
Of my powders, PowerPro 4000 or VV N165 would be the slowest I'd try, even if shooting 250's.

@jshepherd61 , what's your general location?
I'm in Parker, CO. My best results in a 26 Nosler with 142, 143 and the 156 EOL come from Retumbo and I have tried them all same with 168's out of my 7mm STW

Thanks will try it in my 300 PRC but have had real bad luck with Bergers in my 7 STW and 26 Nosler they don't like the velocities. Called Berger and they told me they were not a good fit for 3,250 and above. 26 Nosler with 156gr is 3,310 fps 7 STW with 168gr is 3,452 fps
How do you get a 168 Berger going 3450 in your STW? That's about max vel for mine with a 143