.416 Barrett for Long Range Hunting

mitch260

I am looking at putting together a .416 Barrett as a long range hunting rig. If anyone out there has used one to take game, have you used brass solids? Also, have you used cases formed out of .50 bmg brass? Thanks.

I built a 416 Barret 5 years ago when they were the next big thing. Bartlien barrel. LAR action, The works. I used all hunting bullets and settled on Rocky Mountain Bullets. Bottom line there are better cartridges, If you want a wildcat then a 338 snipe tac, 338\408, the Allen Mags. especially the 375 cheytac, snipe tac or allen mag ( all pretty much the same) will out perform the 416 Barret and you will have a better bullet selection to choose from.
I might add the aforementioned Rocky Mountain Bullets BC is advertised extremely high. I have serious doubts if these bullets were judged on the same BC scale that Barnes, Berger and other premium manufacturers are judged by.
If a person is looking for a non wildcat for ease and availability of components it is Very hard to beat the 338-378 Weatherby. Fuel it with a 280gr Barnes LRX and RL25 (around 109.5gr) and a Win Mag primer loaded to a 3.85 coal you will have a serious non wildcat long range contender. EASIER than a specialty EDGE, A Square, Excaliber, etc.:)

I'd give the 416 Viersco Magnum a look it will make around 9,000lbs of muzzle and it's also possible to build a rifle in 416 Viersco Magnum to weigh close to 16lbs.

I think that the .375 Cheytac would be a better choice now that I have compared them. Cheytac claims brass is $1.90 a piece and 350 gr smk's are about $1. Plus it uses less powder. out of curiosity, what stock did you put on your .416 Barrett elk hunter?

I built my own stock out of Carbonfiber. I am fortunate to have a shop that specializes in marine repair. We commonly build dashes and interior mouldings for the high performance racing industry. I had my mould makers and fabricators make a stock that I liked. I might add that it took 3 time to get it right. MUCH CHEAPER TO BUY ONE..In the end it was excellent but it is too light. Very front heavy. It is a Idaho Legal Rifle..Good Shooting!gun)

mitch:

You are absolutely right on the 375 CT component pricing (though the CT brass is now $2.15 ea) - very reasonable for such a high-performing, ELR cartidge. On the other hand, it is hard to understand how CT can sell loaded ammo (with 350 SMK)at $7.10 each when component cost is $2.15/case + less than $1/SMK + less than 5 cents/primer (Federal red box) + at most $0.50 for powder --- in total less than $3.70/round). That's min $68 to load and package one 20 round box. OUCH! Definitely reload!

The power level (Muzzle Energy) can also be close to a 416 Barrett - using the CT estm velocity of 3200 (https://cheytac.com/ammunition/375350-gr-smk-cartridge/) that's 7960 vs Barrett's published data (Barrett | Ammunition) for their 398 gr projectile of 7952-8767 (depending on barrel length and platform).

The above noted, I suspect that Dave Viers will quote you better numbers (than the Barrett) for his 416 VM and better numbers (than the "factory" 375 CT) for his 375 VM2.

Also, IF you have not already invested in an action (conventional style), CT-class are quite a bit less than 50 BMG (required for 416 Barrett) - BAT lists their CT at $1250 vs $2300 for the EX 2.0. [NOTE: Those are single shot action prices since BAT does not currently build a CT- or BMG-capable repeater. Single shot, shell-holder-style BMG actions are half the price or less than a BAT.]

Bottom line, go 375, or a CT-based 338. Now the question is "Which one?" A whole nother thread - done repeatedly here and elsewhere.

Enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.