Long range .30 Caliber Build Discussion

Build something you can get dies and brass for. 30 Sherman Magnum has both available and is a big case 30.

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on a 300 win mag build. For 2k, I'd consider the 338 but here is why I went 300 win.

Ammo availability. Worst case, you travel out for a hunt and forget your ammo box. **** happens. With a 300 win mag you can grab some box ammo from anywhere. Brass will also be cheaper and more readily available usually.

Ballistically it's very similar to PRC, but prc brass doesn't have the large # of manufacturers that the win mag does.

30 nosler gets you a slightly hotter round, but that will cost you barrel life and recoil (and the gains really aren't much).

If you get a custom action, just be sure the chassis or bottom metal accepts CIP length magazine. If you don't have room in your barrel for the long bullets, you could have a smith free bore the barrel a little.

CIP mags are 3.85 so you won't crowd the mag.

You can also get pre fit barrels for most of the custom actions these days. The Zeus is probably the easiest swap if you want to use the same gun for various calibers. I went with Kelbly but Bighorn, defiant, etc would work as well - just need a barrel vice and action wrench which are cheap.

I did:

-XLR element chassis with folding stock
-Kelbly atlas tactical action (note bighorn you can swap bolt faces rather than bolts for barrel change = cheaper and terminus Zeus is just an Allen wrench)
-trigger tech trigger
-24" preferred pre fit barrel in a .9" straight taper

I wouldn't build any of the three cartridges that you listed for 2300yds shooting. If I was building a 30 cal gun for 2300yd shots it would be a 30-338 Lapua improved but since you have a standard magnum action I would go with a 300 RUM throated for the 250 ATip. Same ADG brass as the 30 Nosler and more case capacity. You will be single feeding these rounds but you will probably discover that the 30 Nosler with a 215 Berger isn't going to be very impressive out of a standard 3.7" length magazine. Sorry to go and pick something you didn't list but what else are forums for?

As stated above I like the Rum .
I put a 300 Rum together just to hit a Milk Jug at a mile. Found a 25" Remington long range heavy barrel , 1/10 twist my Smith cleaned up the chamber and put it on a old Remington action I had .
After load work in a very short time span i ended up with the 230 gr bergers , Nv570, once fired Nosler brass @ 3036 ft.per.sec.

Now I'm almost finished with a new 300 Rum with the heavys in mind .
Defiance tenacity action , Omr carbon 1/9 twist barrel @ 26" .
I should have some results in a few weeks . Still gathering the final parts !
Good luck in your Quest !

Rum Man

30-28 Nosler and throat it properly or 300 RUM. You'll also need a proper mag box

My thoughts..... If building from scratch then the 30 Nos is ok but look at a 250 grain 30 cal bulllet with a 1/8 or 1/9 twist 28 inch barrel. Even if you do the 300PRC shoot the 230 or the 250 ATIP, or a Berger, or Serra match king. For that distance you want heavy to make a splash when you miss so you can see them and then heavy to buck the wind. Don't think about the top velocities as what going to get you there...it will be consistent velocity, low ES and SD. Powder H1000, Retumbo or something there about. I ran the speed thing in my 300RUM. I was only doing 1000 but hot loads are never as consistent when you get into different temp, altitudes, etc.

I'm new to this forum but shoot out to 2k and 1 mile a lot. I recently switched to a 30 nosler I really like it. I get the throat longer to take advantage of more powder space. I run the 250 a-tips but found then to be very finky.. I tried one load of 230 a-tips and bam good to go. The 250 took a couple hundred bullets and 3 pounds od powder but they do hammer. The 30 nosler has been a great case.

I've been on sniperhide for a few years as well

I'm new to this forum but shoot out to 2k and 1 mile a lot. I recently switched to a 30 nosler I really like it. I get the throat longer to take advantage of more powder space. I run the 250 a-tips but found then to be very finky.. I tried one load of 230 a-tips and bam good to go. The 250 took a couple hundred bullets and 3 pounds od powder but they do hammer. The 30 nosler has been a great case.

I've always said people slept on the 30 for the 28 but the 30 is the hit.
Better performance and 1500+ rnds barrel life.
The 27 nosler is right there behind it in terms of being so card ahead of its competition

I agree a 30 Nos is about the perfect balance of performance and barrel life for 2000 yard shooting.
I'm sending 225 eldms at 2950 with H1000 in a 24" barrel, at 3000' that gets me to 2300 yards supersonic.
Any my coal is only around 3.6"