??????? for AR Guru's

spd800

Hey guys first time posting but I've been lurking for awhile.

I have a couple of questions I would like to put out here to see what some of your opinions might be.

First I'm thinking about getting a DPMS w/JP trigger in a .223 for plinking, coyotes and PD hunting. Where my hang up is deciding between the 16" Bull or the 20" Bull, will I be losing anything(noticeable) besides weight with the 16".

Second, is optics. I was leaning towards one of the Nikons but I have seen a few posts on here about the Super Snipers just curious if anyone else has any experience with them?

Thanks In Advance,

Steve

If the gun is just gonna be for stationary shooting and not gonna be packed around or needed to be brough into service fast then the weight has no differance so i would get the 20 or 24" barrel as you will only be gaining speed and slowing the recoil impulse.

One note though , I would definalty shop around , you can get way better deals than just buying a DPMS or any other complete rifle out right. you can buy a complete kit loaded with what you would want in a gun like this , minus the stripped lower for $600 and the stripped lower is only another $125 max and if you like you can get a stainless lower. So for around $800 you can get a heavy SS barreled AR with a Badger forend and alot of places will alter your package to your wants.

AR's are better than Savages when it comes to guys doing the work at home , they are like legos just plug the parts together.

If you get the urge to have a short fast handeling rifle for say rapid coyote shooting then you can pay a $200 SBR tax and get a 14" AR chambered in 6mm-223 , they feed better than the regular 223 and shoot flatter with 55gr bullets ,they have longer barrel life and are more effecient so very little velocity is lost , I can run 55gr bullets out of my 14" as fast maybe faster than I can run 55gr pills out of a 20" barreled 223

??? For AR gurus

Hi James. How ya'll are? I didn't realize that you're into ARs. At present I've got 2, both in 6mm/223, although I'm seriously looking towards a 6.5 Grendel too. We'll have to compare notes. One of these years, I'm going to come down there and help you thin out some swamp rats. They're a favorite of mine here in Oregon.
Art

Hey their Art , yea I like AR's mostly for tactical shooting and just basicaly playing with , lately I've been into making silencers for them and I'm kinda hooked on them , its nice to be able to cut the recoil way down and not have to use ear plugs.

The Neutria are as bad now as ever , I thought that hurricane Kartinba would have decimated their numbers as well as the hogs buit I guess you can't kill bad grass.

SPD800 , forgot to mention about your scope question , I have a Nikon Tactical now and I love it well worht the money they are asking for them , but the couple SSS I've looked through weren't bad for the money , but if your gonna be calling coyotes I'd recomend a variable , its easy to loose a moving animal with a fixed power scope at close range.

I do a little arm gunsmithing and I have 5 AR's. 2 are Bushmasters and three I "snapped" together myself. One of the three I put together is in 7.62X39. The mag issues were a bit tricky to solve, but I found some that work perfect in it.

You can save a ton of money if you "do-it-yourself". I put together one for the wife for <$500 it's not a bull barrel, but it is pretty nice....shoots great too! The company I buy my stuff though sells the upper kit like you are looking for $449 plus shipping. The kit has the barrel and upper already head spaced...ready to go. You get everything else you need in the kit except the lower. The lowers I buy from a guy in Lousianna for $80 plus shipping and you transfer though a FFL.

PM me and I'll give you the comapny's names and contact info if you are interrested in "doing-it-yourself."

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.