Flying with Ammo

375ultramag

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about flying with ammo that is too long to fit in a factory box. The load for my 300 Rum is somewhere around 3.8-3.9 inches C.O.A.L They fit in my mtm case guard but one of the airlines we are flying with does not say they allow ammo in plastic only wood, fiber or metal. I was thinking about building an ammo box just like my case guard with paneling and cedar boards but that just seems like a lot of work. Any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks

FWIW, my experiences with flying and transporting ammo has been flying Sun Country. We were told the ammo could be transported in our rifle cases (Pelican 1750's) but has to be packed in full 20 round cartons) No loose ammo would be allowed in the gun cases. I don't know why you would not be able to ship a separate lockable ammo container as long as the ammo was all tightly packed and could not shift around with-in the container... Try giving the TSA a call at the airport and ask them. Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

but you are only allowed to ship 5lbs gross weight of ammo

V/R
M.Bird
I shipped considerably more than that for my recent trip to Africa.

If I remember correctly the allowance is 9lbs of ammo per firearm caliber.

As to the OP, according to TSA's reg's you can use a plastic caseguard packed inside of your gun case.

If you ship the ammo in a separate case you have to have it in a lockable container and even a lockable plastic case is allowable.

The one problem I ran into was on my return trip when the SAP's tried to tell me that I couldn't ship the ammo internationally in the same case with the rifles. Of course they were just fishing for a bribe and when we requested they have a supervisor come down to settle it they suddenly got over it.

That ammo weight limit has noting to do with TSA, it is Department of Transportation: Hazardous material transportation if the airlines allowed you more
That is there "Bad".

V/R
M.Bird

That ammo weight limit has noting to do with TSA, it is Department of Transportation: Hazardous material transportation if the airlines allowed you more
That is there "Bad".

V/R
M.Bird

While he was in the academy one of his instructors said that they could order a couple thousand rounds through the academy and get a big discount. So my brother called me up and asked me if I wanted some ammo. (Do I want some ammo? Does Charlie Sheen want crack?)

Of course I told him I wanted ammo, and when I was in Utah a few months ago, I decided to pick it up. However, 3,000 rounds is a lot of ammo and there was no way I could carry it all back in my luggage at once. So I gave Southwest a call to see how much ammo I could carry on the plane and they told me 11 pounds.

Since it was a few months ago, I don't remember how many rounds that added up to, but it sure wasn't much. I think it was something like 350 rounds. I realize I could ship the rest, but right now I've got plenty of ammo in my house. Plus, I'm getting ready to head to Utah again soon, so I'll just bring another 350 or so rounds home with me then, and continue this for the time being.

The bottom line is, don't be afraid to fly with your gun and if you plan to carry a lot of ammo, know how many rounds you can bring. And, if you happen to be traveling from Utah to Virginia anytime soon, let me know if you're interested in adding 11 pounds to the weight of your luggage.
How Much Ammo Can You Bring On a Plane?

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it does not appear to be correct.

Ammunition

On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

How much ammo can a passenger take on commercial flight....???

Requirements
Within the U.S., you can only travel with firearms and ammunition, including pellet and BB guns, as checked baggage if you're over 18 years old. You must check them with an agent at check-in and declare that you're traveling with firearms and ammunition.

Firearms must be:

Unloaded
In a locked, hard-sided container (like a rifle case)
Ammunition must be:

In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal).

Learn more about checked baggage
Allowance
There is no limit to the number of items you can carry in your in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, but baggage and oversize / overweight charges may apply.

See oversize / overweight baggage charges
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/firearms-ammunition.jsp

I think that it is wise to pack both guns and ammo as "conventionally" as is possible. Fact is, even if you are within the regulations, if you deviate from what the majority of traveling hunters/shooters practice, the TSA are likely to investigate it. Many of them are untrained or unfamiliar with the regs, and many times just plain bored. I don't pack ammo in my gun case, and use factory/cardboard ammo boxes(even if a different cartridge) packed in a fanny pack within my duffel/luggage. I also use TSA locks on my duffel/bag, padlocks on my gun case which is not likely to get rechecked if there is just a gun/accessories in it. Keep your binoculars/rangefinders with you in your carry on. Once they get inspired to "just" check out your bag or case you run the risk of delayed baggage or missed flights. Most problems occur after your baggage leaves you and goes down the ramp. You are at their mercy at this point. IMO.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have checked both US Airways and United and they both agree on the 11 pounds of ammo in a factory container or wood, fiber or metal but after several phone calls and hours of searching the Internet from what I see United won't allow plastic. The guy said it's best to try and go along with individual airline's rules as much as possible just for less conflicts. I bought 3 boxes of factory ammo just for the boxes but my rounds are nowhere near fitting in them. Afraid if I start cutting and taping it might look suspicious. Shipping is also out because we are flying then renting a car and driving 3 more hours so wouldn't have a place to ship them to.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.