Bugs, Bugs and more flying bugs!

Punisher

I was firing from my bench a few weeks ago and i was intently watching the center of my target as i was starting the squeeze on my trigger. right before the trigger broke, a dragon fly hovered DEAD center on my crosshair. when the rifle went bang, i'm fairly certain the dragonfly met his end. it was after all, only about a foot from the target.

this got me thinking about when i'm shooting at 800, 900, 1000 yards, how many bugs do i hit and what does that do to my bullet and trajectory?
last weekend, i was shooting steel at 869 yards and in the bottom where my target was, there was a swarm of mayflies.

has anybody else thought about this? what are your thoughts?

I never thought about bugs but the other day I was shooting and here come a down pour and I wondered how rain would affect my trajectory. But I was out of ammo....

i was thinking that maybe the pressure wave in front of the bullet would move a small insect. but what about a big insect, or dust particles or hail?

About a year ago I watched a youtube video on guys shooting in rain and potential bullet flight issues. Search for it. I will look when I get a chance. Seems that the outcome had more to do with weight of bullet and amount of rainfall.

Oh, great. We worry about BC, temperature, wind, humidity, altitude, powder charge, type of powder, powder lot series, seating depth, neck tension, type of primer, neck chamber clearance,mirage, comparative weight of bullets and brass, and a dozen other things - now we're gonna plug in rain, insects, and dust particles. My good heavens, where does it end? :D

Oh, great. We worry about BC, temperature, wind, humidity, altitude, powder charge, type of powder, powder lot series, seating depth, neck tension, type of primer, neck chamber clearance,mirage, comparative weight of bullets and brass, and a dozen other things - now we're gonna plug in rain, insects, and dust particles. My good heavens, where does it end? :D

Well, you left out snow. I hunt wolves all winter and snow creates issues for me. Mostly I can't see but that is just 1 part of my many issues.

you left out coriolis effect... and spin drift... not to be a jerk, just sayin :)

...it NEVER ends!

sorry about the moon thing, but one of my professors told me in college that in order to be affected by the gravity of the moon, the object has to be one, single mass and be very large.

for some reason, even the dirt particles of the ground are not affected.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.