Fluting

Modeling dynamic stiffness for this sort of input is well beyond the pay grade of most of us. GI-GO will very much rule. Static stiffness is far easier to comprehend and calculate, and when it is a complex contour Sporter barrel that isn't so easy either.

I contend fluting is a fad that will blessedly die off given enough time. In the future we'll look at fluted barrels in the future and ask "what WAS I thinking?!?!"

Wrong! As long as I keep getting older I will keep getting barrels fluted to reduce weight.

, I want to have a new barrel for my Savage 99 C lever gun with octagonal flats on a tapered hunting barrel. Finding a smith to do that is not easy.
Set it up in a vice and take a grinder to it...it'll be purrrfict....
There are other, better ways to reduce weight. The simultaneously most painful and most effective is dieting.....
Well...im 5'9"..210#....have bicycled over 2600 miles in 2.5 years....
Not as much upper body mass as I used to be....but at 54...im decently fit.....i will still take the fluted or noodle barrel rifle...and pack out a little heavier pack when time comes...but truth be told...i like my packs as lite going out as they go in....its just the 'STUPID MOMENT' that I have when I can't say 'NO'.....🙊🙉🙈🙉🙊🙉🙈🙉🙊🙉🙈🙉

There are other, better ways to reduce weight. The simultaneously most painful and most effective is dieting.....

You must be smoking some of the whacky tabacky. I'm 5'7" and 160 pound 77 year old. There's not a lot of room for me to loose off my arms; or anywhere else for that matter. So how could a diet help since I carry my rifle in one hand or the other except when I use the binoculars.

Question to you gunsmiths. I am thinking of ordering a barrel threaded, chambered and crowned from the barrel manufacture.. This barrel maker does not flute nor believes in fluting barrels. Question is should I have my gunsmith just flute and headspace or do Gunsmiths prefer to do the chambering and crown if they do the fluting? Yes I know I should just call my gunsmith and ask him but I feel like I bug him enough and just trying to have a heads up on this thinking process.
Question to you gunsmiths. I am thinking of ordering a barrel threaded, chambered and crowned from the barrel manufacture.. This barrel maker does not flute nor believes in fluting barrels. Question is should I have my gunsmith just flute and headspace or do Gunsmiths prefer to do the chambering and crown if they do the fluting? Yes I know I should just call my gunsmith and ask him but I feel like I bug him enough and just trying to have a heads up on this thinking process.
I've had a few exceptional barrels shooting .2 to .3 MOA with just about any load or components but none have been fluted. All my fluted barrels have been average shooters, difficult to tune and very fussy re components. My gunsmithing buddies recon there' s nothing to fluting a barrel , but getting one to shoot like a hummer, freak or what you call it is very difficult.
I've had two freak barrels and both were McMillan's. unfortunately not available anymore.

This machine has fluted thousands of barrels.
006.JPG

Fluting looks cool, save's weight.

It does increase surface area and should help diispate heat.

I've read that barrels should be stress relieved after fluting or reprofiling. That is also relevant to the material and production process.

Buying a fluted barrel to he Abe it fitted makes sense because the manufacturer should have completed all of the appropriate testing and stress relief in the manufacture and is supplying either factory or as a blank to be fired by a competent person. Do if your BlunderBuss ends up looking like a peeled back Banana, let the big companies take responsibility, not the gunsmith you befriended during the build.

Fluting may affect stiffness in various ways.

You might need to start with samples of the same barrel and actually test deflection before and after fluting.

Results will vary if you test different bores on different profiles.

You must be smoking some of the whacky tabacky. I'm 5'7" and 160 pound 77 year old. There's not a lot of room for me to loose off my arms; or anywhere else for that matter. So how could a diet help since I carry my rifle in one hand or the other except when I use the binoculars.
The comment was not directed at you.

It was in jest and speaking for people in general. We look to shave a few ounces off a rifle but faill to notice we could lose 10 pounds with a bit of excercise

We can go look for better lighter hear and accuracy.

Many of us could aid from exercise, experience and becoming better hunters.

I can vouch for my experience and my downfalls too, but its time I get off the lounge and do something.

Last edited:
I have never had the luxury of having a barrel fluted, buttoned or cut, then lapped and heat treated in that order. Until that happens then I won't be having any fluting. Cutting a thread , chambering and cutting to length etc is the only post machine work I ever want done to one of my barrels.

For what it's worth I have had twisted barrel flute several barrels for me and all shot fantastic after being done. The work that guy does is perfection. Even my pencil thin barrels I did just to see lost zero accuracy after being done.

For what it's worth I have had twisted barrel flute several barrels for me and all shot fantastic after being done. The work that guy does is perfection. Even my pencil thin barrels I did just to see lost zero accuracy after being done.
Nice of you to pump up your gunsmiths tyres as quite a few get unwarranted or undeserved comments. I'm talking having a competition benchrest winning rifle barrel fluted then becoming a very average performer.

I have never had the luxury of having a barrel fluted, buttoned or cut, then lapped and heat treated in that order. Until that happens then I won't be having any fluting. Cutting a thread , chambering and cutting to length etc is the only post machine work I ever want done to one of my barrels.
No barrel is fluted, button or cut, then lapped and heat treated in that order.

Nice of you to pump up your gunsmiths tyres as quite a few get unwarranted or undeserved comments. I'm talking having a competition benchrest winning rifle barrel fluted then becoming a very average performer.
Well since this is about fluting I figured that my experience may shed some light on the subject doesn't mean I have to be a gunsmith. If you were spending more time reading and comprehending you would realize even the top smiths disagree about things. So that means real life experience means something. Second my point is still valid if it didn't change the accuracy of a thin barrel why would it on your special barrel?